Thread: 17 Centrefire users - which scope for vermin, fox and add on NV

17 Centrefire users - which scope for vermin, fox and add on NV

A quick question regarding scope choice for a 17 Remington that I have bought from a fellow SD member.

I am intending to use the rifle for mainly sub 200 yard vermin and fox but would like to remain crow and magpie capable to 400 yards. I am thinking along the lines of a variable with an upper magnification limit in the 16-20x region. I would also like to choose a scope with good compatibility with add on NV such as the Archer.

I have heard good reports when folk use the Leupold 4.5-14x50 with the Archer. I think that this scope would be fine on foxes but wonder if this will limit the daytime range a bit when shooting smaller targets. Would the 6.5-20 Leupold have too much mag for the Archer? What are you chaps using? Has anyone been using the Sightron scopes with NV as I have heard some good reports about them.

Thanks in advance

I use a 6x24x56 zeiss on mine and it make rabbits look like kangaroo at full mag but you need something like that to cope with the distance the rifle can shoot

I think you are under estimating the round ! I have a 17 Fireball only last Saturday night I shot a Dog fox at 300m, not even a twitch. Have shot Canada's out to 400m.
    P.S It wears a S&B 8x56

I'm using a Zeiss Conquest 6.5-20x50 with Varmint ret on my 17rem. Happily shooting rabbits out to 400 and dropped a crow at 510 yards a few weeks back.

Quote Originally Posted by 204 Ruger View Post
    I'm using a Zeiss Conquest 6.5-20x50 with Varmint ret on my 17rem. Happily shooting rabbits out to 400 and dropped a crow at 510 yards a few weeks back.
    I am surprised you are getting on well with the Zeiss. I had one and it went milky about 12 mag. It is known as a scope to avoid with nv. I spose there are exceptions to every rule. I was chatting to a gamekeeper at the weekend and he used a Nightforce 4-16 i think he said with his archer. He also said he shot 240 foxes last year. Never tried one but it is on my list of things to try. Another bloke was using a S&B. again another one I haven't tried. Not being very helpful here am I?
    i use leupold 4-14 and AGS 3-12 and also 6-18 at the moment. I would personally prefer bigger mag for the longer range stuff but most of mine is round 100 yards anyway. A lot boils down to illumination, makes the world of difference.
    I can speak in-depth and with great knowledge about most subjects until some bugger who actually knows what he is speaking about opens his gob .

Hi if you are going to use an Archer Add on try to get a scope with side parallax, i use Bushnell 6500 4x16x50 and they work well with the Archer but i need the high mounts as the bolt may catch the fittings of the Archer.

Thanks for the replies everyone, much appreciated.