Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Farming Today and the badger cull - this morning

Smile Farming Today and the badger cull - this morning

Folks,

Not looking to start a debate on the yes or no of the whole issue, but just had a chuckle this morning when a cattle farmer was asked about the cull said he was (approx quote)

" fed up with people who know nothing about cattle or the countryside getting involved.
    Take that Brian May, what does he know ? He can play guitar and that is it ! I used
    to like Queen but I wouldn't listen to them now !"

Of course all said with a fabulous West Country farmers lilt !

Cheers + ATVB

Philip
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes ?

Ha ha. Would have loved to hear that.

I had to turn Channel 4's Sunday Brunch off last weekend because Brian May was on there spouting nonsense.

It is worth a listen :-)

BBC Radio 4 - Farming Today, 30/05/2013

​9:30 minutes in
    Last edited by neil_r; 30-05-2013 at 09:43.

One day I want to be as wonderful as my dogs think i am .....

This gives an indication of the reality of bTB: Massive TB breakout? - Page 2
    Mrs B on page 2, post 57 is the farmer or wife whose farm lost 97 dairy cows and I have copied it here:

Hello all, just wanted to share our story

My husband and I are dairy farmers, we are just genuine family farmers like most of you on this forum trying to do our best in tough times, we live in Staffordshire. On 1st feb we had our annual TB test, 97 of our dairy cows reacted to the test and have been compulsory slaughtered.

On monday we were told that the rest of the herd will be slaughtered. That is our whole milking herd gone in the space of weeks, 150 cows, most of which were born on our farm, 80% were in calf - up to six weeks off calving, my husband looked after them second to none. It is one of the most heartbreaking times of our lives to see our lovely cows loaded up and taken away, lorry load after lorry load. Our cows have been slaughtered in the prime of their lives, as well as the calves that they were carrying which were born on a slaughterhouse floor. How can people preach about how wrong it is to cull the badgers when this is happening to our cows.

My husband is a broken man, he loved his cows, within the last 18 months we've invested heavily in cubicle housing and new parlour because we were committed to dairying and thought we were in it for the long haul. Don't know where we'll go from here.

Sheep are developing bTB: Bovine TB: Baaaaa - more sheep

For those who do not know, the oft quoted RBCT in the mid 1990's is a poor indicator of the success of culling for a number of reasons which include:
    1. Out of 15000 traps used to catch badgers 9000 were interfered with by protestors.
    2. Perturbation is cited as a reason for the spread of bTB, however if you were a badger caught in a trap for upto 12 hours and then released, would you stay in that sett with a trap outside?

The Badgers Act allowed for licences to be issued for culling in bTB hotspots.
    In 1997 the Labour party received a donation of 1 million from PAL (political animal lobby), of which 600 0000 was a loan from IFAW (Internaional Fund for Animal Welfare).
    When Labour won the election, they issued no more culling licences.

http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php...l_Animal_Lobby

PAL was chaired by Angela Beveridge, sister of the Labour MP Tony Banks.
    Last edited by jack; 30-05-2013 at 11:38.

Quote Originally Posted by jack View Post
    This gives an indication of the reality of bTB: Massive TB breakout? - Page 2
    Mrs B on page 2, post 57 is the farmer or wife whose farm lost 97 dairy cows and I have copied it here:

Hello all, just wanted to share our story

My husband and I are dairy farmers, we are just genuine family farmers like most of you on this forum trying to do our best in tough times, we live in Staffordshire. On 1st feb we had our annual TB test, 97 of our dairy cows reacted to the test and have been compulsory slaughtered.

On monday we were told that the rest of the herd will be slaughtered. That is our whole milking herd gone in the space of weeks, 150 cows, most of which were born on our farm, 80% were in calf - up to six weeks off calving, my husband looked after them second to none. It is one of the most heartbreaking times of our lives to see our lovely cows loaded up and taken away, lorry load after lorry load. Our cows have been slaughtered in the prime of their lives, as well as the calves that they were carrying which were born on a slaughterhouse floor. How can people preach about how wrong it is to cull the badgers when this is happening to our cows.

My husband is a broken man, he loved his cows, within the last 18 months we've invested heavily in cubicle housing and new parlour because we were committed to dairying and thought we were in it for the long haul. Don't know where we'll go from here.

Sheep are developing bTB: Bovine TB: Baaaaa - more sheep

For those who do not know, the oft quoted RBCT in the mid 1990's is a poor indicator of the success of culling for a number of reasons which include:
    1. Out of 15000 traps used to catch badgers 9000 were interfered with by protestors.
    2. Perturbation is cited as a reason for the spread of bTB, however if you were a badger caught in a trap for upto 12 hours and then released, would you stay in that sett with a trap outside?

The Badgers Act allowed for licences to be issued for culling in bTB hotspots.
    In 1997 the Labour party received a donation of 1 million from PAL (political animal lobby), of which 600 0000 was a loan from IFAW (Internaional Fund for Animal Welfare).
    When Labour won the election, they issued no more culling licences.

http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php...l_Animal_Lobby

PAL was chaired by Angela Beveridge, sister of the Labour MP Tony Banks.

You can't make it up can you. Reading that piece written by the farmers wife I got quite full. The thing is its obvious to everyone who works and actually know about the countryside badgers need to be controlled.

This makes me sick the thought of a calfs being born on a slaughterhouse floor because of this should be shown by the BBC then after the screening of such a brutal act I think you would find the support for the cull increased and the support for the badger lovers hugely diminished and those (Brian May)who couldn't see that would be shown up for what they realy are?.I also find it rather unethical & far from a coincidence that the donation was made under these circumstances and not investigated or exposed for what it was & is in my opinion "A BRIBE"Maybe I'm just nieve?
    LET HE WHO IS WITHOUT SIN CAST THE FIRST STONE & PREVENTION IS BETTER THAN CURE!

A little bit more anecdotal evidence for you, although not on the scale suffered by the dairy farmer in the OP.

The farm I used to work on was orriginally a dairy farm, when my boss bought the farm he decided to establish a herd of pedigree Herefords. We tore down most of the dairy units and spent over 100,000 building a new beef rearing system. On top of this we sourced Hereford cattle from all over the country.

Because of TB regulations All of the cattle had to be tested for T.B before we could collect them, even the prize winning bulls bought at auction had to be tested before entry into auction. The result was a certified TB free herd of 169 pedigree Herefords.

Two years pass , annual TB tests comming back negative, then one night while out lamping foxes we, spot a badger rooting around. This confirmed the rumours about badgers moving into the area. A few months pass and it's testing time again. This time we have two confirmed "reactors" and one "inconclusive", all of which were due to calf within 30 days. This means the reactors have to be distroyed on farm by a ministry slaughterman and the inconclusive has to be segregated and retested.

It is heartbreaking to watch animals you work with everyday and have got attached to being killed with a captive bolt, then "pithed" (this is where the slaughterman inserts a blue plastic, barbed rod, about two foot long through the bolt hole and rams it down the spinal colum). You are then treated to the sight of the animals being winched up into the lorry. So on the one test we lost the equivilent of 4 cattle, and received only a minimal payment for them.

Because we were now an "infected herd", all cattle movements were banned, so we couldn't earn any money, plus you are automatically put on shorter testing periods. Later testing produced more reactors, including one cow, who was my favourite of the herd, they all have individual personalities and you do get attached to them. There was no way I was going to let some stranger finish her off, so after a heated discussion with the ministry slaughterman, I shot her, but there was no way I could stand there to see her pithed and dragged into a lorry.

You make your mind up if there's a link between badgers and TB.

It's been some time since I left that farm, but I still think of the cows and calves that we lost.

Ive seen it first hand unfortunateley, Used to work in the slaughterhouse whey back when I was 17 , you would have processed about 70 cows into sides of beef in the morning , I couldn't help wondering why most of them were carrying young! Then I was told why!

I know I've already posted this link in a similar thread but please spread the word about this site which has the facts about bTb rather than the guff spouted by Brian May eat al Learn all about bovine TB in cattle and badgers | TB Free England - TB Free England

As the above posts so painfully illustrate it is so important for the cattle industry that we get back on top of this disease.

cheers

​penyard

I'd just like to thank the preceding posters for the honesty and frankness in recounting their experiences. "Dear BBC, I thought you might be interested in the experiences of real people who live and work in the countryside, just to balance against the propaganda of the uninvolved".