Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reloading component shortages

Reloading component shortages

The subject of UK powder and bullet shortages has been raised a number of time in recent threads, much of which is attributed to a surge in US domestic demand. I though that this would be of interest to some, just to put the unprecedented US demand into some perspective - this is a report (shamelessly stolen from another forum) which refers to just one retailer in the US (Bruno's Shooting Supplies). This was the situation as at 20th April 2013...:

... spoke at length with Lester Bruno today. I want to share some facts that can put the situation in perspective. Lester wants people to know that he and his staff are working as hard as possible. He has hired extra help and rented additional stockroom space, but he asks people to be patient and understand that "our business is facing an impossible situation... with an order increase of unprecedented magnitude."

- Bruno's has been inundated with orders. Overall they are filling 400% more orders than ever before. That's right -- they are trying to deal with FOUR TIMES as many orders as ever before in history.

- The demand for powder and products is an Order of Magnitude greater than ever before. So far in 2013, Bruno's has shipped TEN TIMES as much hazmat product as during the entire year of 2012.

- Lester HAS hired new staffers and added a phone line and rented additional stockroom space. Nonetheless, he and his daughter Amy are now working 14 hours a day. Lester lost 15 pounds off his body last month because he was working so hard he wasn't eating.

- One reason for delay is that the UPS truck, by UPS policies, is limited to 100 lbs. of hazmat material per truck. Sometimes UPS sends only one truck a day. This causes a back-log which is beyond Bruno's control.

- The big demand is for powder and primers. However, the powder-makers are only delivering a small fraction of the product Bruno's has on order. To give you an idea of the demand, Lester has 200,000,000 (two hundred million) Federal primers on order.

- Bruno's operation is filling orders as fast as it can, but product is not flowing in as needed. Bruno's has over $10,000,000 (ten million dollars) in product back-ordered. This includes everything. He's ordered $3.5 million in primers alone.

- Inventory that would normally arrive on a regular basis has been choked off. For example, Sierra is 2.5 months behind in bullet deliveries [JabaliHunter - Sierra passed their total 2012 sales total by the end of March 2013].

- One reason for an increase in primer prices is that the manufacturers are only delivering in small lot quantities (100 lbs vs. 2000 lbs). This means significantly higher hazmat and shipping fees per unit -- fees paid by Brunos on receipt of product.

- There is a current backlog of 2500+ emails. If you consider it may easily take 10 minutes to review an order and answer an email, that backlog represents at least 416 man-hours of response time. That's 10.4 forty-hour weeks -- just to answer emails already in the queue.

- A "crisis-response" decision was made to halt phone orders. The reason is simple... answering the phone made it impossible, even with the additional staff, to pull and fill existing orders. Remember that the overall volume of orders has increased 400% since last year.

Blimey!!
    Definitely a wrong time for me to start reloading then, good job the Prvi's shoot well in my new rifle!!
    Follow my stalking journey & SD sponsored DSC1 progress blog here

DSC1 forum sponsorship - Blogs - The Stalking Directory

The worry with this is that there is more than likely going to be a 2 fold issue... At some point the panic buying will stop, either because the threat is perceived to be gone or because the US buying public will be happy that they have stockpiled enough ammunition and/or components for the threat they perceive is on their doorstep! (I blame Nat Geo's Doomsday Preppers show! lol)

It will be an aweful long time before the stockpiles are fired off at the range and in the meantime the sudden cessation in buying activity is going to put a large number of retailers/wholesalers/manufacturers out of business... It is simplistic to stand back and say, well... as long as some of the extra income received during the boom period is held back to tide over the lean period, all will be fine... Unfortunately, overheads and costs don't stop during lean periods and the overheads during the boom period increase significantly, watering down any windfall profits..

The upshot of this is that we could see the US sporting goods industry completely decimated meaning that shortages will be with us for ever more!!!!

Don't worry Vipa, I think all Obama has done is to '...awaken a sleeping giant...' I think the market will be large enough to keep everyone in business based on Jabali's quote..

Kind regards,

Tim

I think similar too. As in I think for every shooter who has stock piled there might be 100 or 1000 that haven't and as stocks come back in they will fulfill the laggards requirements until eventually things will be restored to full calm. To be honest and this is what I would say is a realist view is that I feel the calm will only be fully restored when Obama is out of office. The shooting public in the US just don't trust the current administration is the vibe I am getting.

I emailed cliffs guns in america to buy some 17rem nosler brass,he said there is no problem with shipping its just he has all reloading components on a 6/12 month back order
    mall the best
    ​dave

Quote Originally Posted by Vipa View Post
    The worry with this is that there is more than likely going to be a 2 fold issue... At some point the panic buying will stop, either because the threat is perceived to be gone or because the US buying public will be happy that they have stockpiled enough ammunition and/or components for the threat they perceive is on their doorstep! (I blame Nat Geo's Doomsday Preppers show! lol)

It will be an aweful long time before the stockpiles are fired off at the range and in the meantime the sudden cessation in buying activity is going to put a large number of retailers/wholesalers/manufacturers out of business... It is simplistic to stand back and say, well... as long as some of the extra income received during the boom period is held back to tide over the lean period, all will be fine... Unfortunately, overheads and costs don't stop during lean periods and the overheads during the boom period increase significantly, watering down any windfall profits..

The upshot of this is that we could see the US sporting goods industry completely decimated meaning that shortages will be with us for ever more!!!!
    You're assuming that the component manufacturers haven't taken this into and not stepped up production i.e. they thinks a temporary bump and haven't invested in more production.
    I suspect as time goes by people will lose interest and cancel their back orders and things will return to normal.
    Last edited by Milligan; 30-05-2013 at 19:24.

Quote Originally Posted by jon2 View Post
    I feel the calm will only be fully restored when Obama is out of office. The shooting public in the US just don't trust the current administration is the vibe I am getting.
    Do you really think so

For the life of me I cannot even imagine ANY reason to trust that poor excuse for a human

I disagree with the doom mongers, if the American public are stockpiling guns and ammunition at some point people are going to go out and have lots of recreational fun with what they have bought. i.e.the net effect of Obama's proposed gun laws has been to stimulate American interest in shooting sports and created genuine growth in the supporting industries. atb Tim

A couple of Big Sandy shoots should take care of any big stockpiles!
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!