Thread: Roe buck calling out of the rutting season

Roe buck calling out of the rutting season

Some advise/views please: Is it in any way 'damaging' to the bucks future behaviour to try to call them in using a Buttalo call long before or long after the rutting season end July/early August?

I managed to call in to some 20 Yards away from me (but not to shoot) a suitable yearling cull buck, first spotted some 200 Yards away. This was the end of April, some 5 weeks ago. Bizarrely the buck did respond to the 'fawn alarm' call but not to the 'buck' call. It was a cold very windy and showery evening with outside temperatures around 6C.

However when out stalking on somebody else's land I was asked not to use the call as it would 'confuse' the bucks and 'spoil' it for later, during the rut. I didn't quite get that, culling bucks is culling bucks (no trophy hunting here) and every advantage I can give myself is one I should take.

True/false; right/wrong; moral/immoral, ethical/unethical?

Thank you for your views.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Hamburger View Post
    Some advise/views please: Is it in any way 'damaging' to the bucks future behaviour to try to call them in using a Buttalo call long before or long after the rutting season end July/early August?

I managed to call in to some 20 Yards away from me (but not to shoot) a suitable yearling cull buck, first spotted some 200 Yards away. This was the end of April, some 5 weeks ago. Bizarrely the buck did respond to the 'fawn alarm' call but not to the 'buck' call. It was a cold very windy and showery evening with outside temperatures around 6C.

However when out stalking on somebody else's land I was asked not to use the call as it would 'confuse' the bucks and 'spoil' it for later, during the rut. I didn't quite get that, culling bucks is culling bucks (no trophy hunting here) and every advantage I can give myself is one I should take.

True/false; right/wrong; moral/immoral, ethical/unethical?

Thank you for your views.
    do not call roe outside of the rut , you will only educate the bucks and make things harder for yourself when the rut comes

Discretion assured
    - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857

please visit our web site:
    http://uksha1 or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest.

using the call can alarm and educate the older bucks to your 'agenda', but the young ones can be quite curious and will sometimes come to the call.

I use the high squeek (roe doe calling its fawn) call just around now when they've been ousted by the does, they are hopping about all confused looking for mama deer, so will often come running to the squeek...to be hugely disappointed when met with an affirmative Bona Nox!
    One does not hunt in order to kill; one kills in order to have hunted. - Jose Ortega y Gasset

call shy deer are a bit like lamp shy foxes

its only the ones that you miss that are "educated".....