Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Meindl Dovre Extreme

Meindl Dovre Extreme

Just got myself a pair of Meindl Dovre boots, my question is should I dub them straight away before use?

ATB

Bryan

Alba gu bràth

Sauer 101 6.5x55, Beretta Silver Pigeon 12g Over&Under

I treated mine with dubbins natural wax after the first time I used them, then clean and re-treat after approx. every 3 outings. they are looking great and holding water out, so at least 'that' process seems to be working ;-)
    “One does not hunt in order to kill; one kills in order to have hunted.” - Jose Ortega y Gasset

Put it this way what harm can it do ! May as well get some practice in .
    ​norma

Ps no half arse job mind take the laces out and do all the tongue proper like !

Ok... in response to first 2 posts.. The Dovre extreme uses a pre waxed leather (not to my taste but I haven't found an alternative boot as comfy so will just have to put up with it. The waxy coating comes off after a few wears and the leather dries out very quickly (much faster than other boots I have owned) and becomes quite stiff so, in answer to your question they do need treating but not out of the box.. whatever you put on them won't get through the factory coating so would p[rove pointless. Wear them a few times and start applying 'something' regularly as the leather appears to have started drying out.

Now.. the 'something' is an interesting point. pietasvenatores... Dovre extremes are goretex boots.. they should remain waterproof despite what you are putting on them, not because of what you are putting on them.. if you get leakage then there is a fault, it means the goretex membrane has failed!

If you put traditional wax or dubin on goretex boots it will stop the goretex working.. they will still be waterproof but will be unable to breath through the wax... you may as well save yourself some money, buy cheaper boots and put plastic bags round your feet before you pt your socks on!!!

You need to use something specifically designed to nourish the leather whilst not clogging the pores up.. Grainger's G-Wax or similar.. Lowa make a range of products the clean and nourish the leather whilst improving water repelancy (allowing the leather to wet out also stops the goretex doing it's job properly!)

Hope that helps..

More to the point, how do you stop the inside of the heel box creaking ??? starting to drive me mental now.

Great boots though.

I don't trust goretex,, it ALWAYS leaks, even when treated,..in my experience at least

Quote Originally Posted by Vipa View Post
    Ok... in response to first 2 posts.. The Dovre extreme uses a pre waxed leather (not to my taste but I haven't found an alternative boot as comfy so will just have to put up with it. The waxy coating comes off after a few wears and the leather dries out very quickly (much faster than other boots I have owned) and becomes quite stiff so, in answer to your question they do need treating but not out of the box.. whatever you put on them won't get through the factory coating so would p[rove pointless. Wear them a few times and start applying 'something' regularly as the leather appears to have started drying out.

Now.. the 'something' is an interesting point. pietasvenatores... Dovre extremes are goretex boots.. they should remain waterproof despite what you are putting on them, not because of what you are putting on them.. if you get leakage then there is a fault, it means the goretex membrane has failed!

If you put traditional wax or dubin on goretex boots it will stop the goretex working.. they will still be waterproof but will be unable to breath through the wax... you may as well save yourself some money, buy cheaper boots and put plastic bags round your feet before you pt your socks on!!!

You need to use something specifically designed to nourish the leather whilst not clogging the pores up.. Grainger's G-Wax or similar.. Lowa make a range of products the clean and nourish the leather whilst improving water repelancy (allowing the leather to wet out also stops the goretex doing it's job properly!)

Hope that helps..
    “One does not hunt in order to kill; one kills in order to have hunted.” - Jose Ortega y Gasset

Quote Originally Posted by Rake Aboot View Post
    More to the point, how do you stop the inside of the heel box creaking ??? starting to drive me mental now.

Great boots though.
    Never had that problem or not noticed it at least!

Quote Originally Posted by pietasvenatores View Post
    I don't trust goretex,, it ALWAYS leaks, even when treated,..in my experience at least
    I've had q few pairs of goretex boots over the years and never had the goretex fail on me.. I know it can/does... just been lucky.
    I have had a couple of goretex jackets apparently leak.. turned out to be condensation in one and poor design in another (water was entering through the collar and tracking down!

Quote Originally Posted by Rake Aboot View Post

Great boots though.
    If you give the bit under the flap which the eyelet is attached to at the ankle of the boot a good dosing of wax and liberally coat the underside of the flap itself it should stop the squeak. It has done on the last 2 pairs I have had anyway.

I use the proper meindl wax but this last pair I have didn't get the attention they should have and have cracked across the toes. My fault entirely

Solve yr problems boys buy some altbergs oooorsome boots stark extreme cuts down on the dubbin no-end .
    ​norma