Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Medal heads, SCI vs CIC

Medal heads, SCI vs CIC

What is your opinion? Here in Denmark it gets more and more popular to use the SCI method. Last year I shot a nice sixpointer which scored a 100 CIC but got a silver medal in SCI. It is a very nice looking throphy so it deserved a medal in my book.

And I guess thats the difference. CIC will award medals to the heads that are massive and weights alot. Where SCI will award medals to high or nice looking sixpointers.

I must say that I like SCI best at the moment. I think its more fair to get a medal for a really nice looking symetrical buck(SCI), instead of getting a medal for how heavy it is. (CIC)

We have BASC too here ! Just to add to the confusion .personally I'd use cic if I was looking to get something measured
    ​norma

Yea ONE system for it all could be good. I dont really cares for it anyway, but when I get a good throphy I just think its fun too see what it scores.

For me its got to be the CIC i have had very tall bucks that have no real substance and i am sure the SCI would have gave them medals but i like to measure mine against the best in the uk and they are normally measured with the CIC system.

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)
    Can you post your score card so as we can see what are the criteria
    “Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”........Dalai Lama

Method 21NT/T http://member.scifirstforhunters.org/static/RB/Methods/
    CIC is best in my opinion, although with SCI you don't have to wait 90 days and heads can easily be measured from a shoulder mounted animal.
    Weight and volume are the most important features of Roe antlers and CIC method reflects this whereas SCI does not.

CIC. Because of the SCI scoring system, for certain species, it rewards trophies of the younger animals which can be detrimental to herd genetics. Cape buffalo is a prime example.

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)
    Being devils advocate, I can see that the SCI method has some merit.
    My friend from Denmark has always measured using CIC measuring. He always says though that the thing that makes UK bucks so good is their density of bone. He reckons that 10 minutes after boiling out (drip dry) that most heads he has then had scored will lose 130gr. This always makes a bit of a nonsense of the 10% deduction rule. On top of this you have to ask is it fair that other countries where perhaps that density does not occur due to the geography is the CIC scoring system therefore fair.
    Surely you want a representative Gold/Silver/Bronze from that country?
    “Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”........Dalai Lama

teyhan i can see your reasoning but is it not the best of the best and if a country cannot compete because it dose not have what it take then that would be tough. Scotland produces many many gold roe for its size it would be one of the best places to shoot a medal roe buck in the world. But try and shoot a gold medal stag and its a differnt story. We have many many red stags but lack quality its the way things are.

Here is the details of my first roebuck I shot last summer. Almost bronce in CIC and just silver in SCI.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	buk.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	27.3 KB 
ID:	28908Click image for larger version. 

Name:	papir.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	66.4 KB 
ID:	28909