Case damage! any ideas

speedystu

Hi all, i have just brought a remmi thumb lam stock in 204, now the problem is when cycling a round into breach its fine the close bolt and it goes stiff not much but enough, it also puts 2 scratches down the case, this wouldnt be a problem but i'm going to home load with nosler custom brass and dont want to bugger every case on the first shot! i hope the pictures show well enough the problem i'm having! would appreciate your views on this problem!!.

Downloader (3).jpg204 case.jpg

Thanks stu

Looks like the extratactor's not riding over the rim properly. Never seen this before in a Remington...new rifle? Take it back and moan. Old rifle? Take it to a 'smith who knows what they are doing. Should just be a bit of fiddling or a new extractor.

yes new rifle! have spoke to shop and he has contacted edgar bros so just hurry up and wait!

scratches down the case are from the lips on the mag I would guess.
I get similar on a .222 BRNO

Extractor claws not going over the rim properly. That would also explain the bolt going "stiff".
I had same with .243 just after I bought it, when I was mucking about with some empty cases just to get the feel of the thing, before putting live rounds through. Ended up with one stuck in the breech, and had to knock it out from the other end with cleaning rod. Nothing was wrong with the rifle at all, just the cases! Blown out a bit at the shoulder, so very tight fit and not slipping fully home.
A very helpful chap off this site sent me a few re-sized cases to play with, and no more probs. That put my mind at rest, and of course it's subsequently been fine with live rounds.
If your ammo is reloads, then perhaps you should size the cases down a bit more in future? Or if factory ammo, try a different brand.

The mark along the case is probaly where it goes up feed ramp into the chamber,the case rim damage is because the case rim are several fow bigger than standard and there isn't enough room for the ejector in the bolt face,if you get a different case to try hopefully this will be you prob,I had this with my tikka 695 when I bought some whetherby cases,atb Swarovski

Looks as if you might gave some burrs in the chamber, or more likely right at the entrance to the chamber. Have you pulled the bolt and looked carefully into the mouth of the chamber? A new rifle should not cause the scratches shown on the cases.
It's also possible some clown had a case head separation and gouged up the chamber getting the rest of the cartridge out.

Hi all, i have just brought a remmi thumb lam stock in 204, now the problem is when cycling a round into breach its fine the close bolt and it goes stiff not much but enough, it also puts 2 scratches down the case, this wouldnt be a problem but i'm going to home load with nosler custom brass and dont want to bugger every case on the first shot! i hope the pictures show well enough the problem i'm having! would appreciate your views on this problem!!.

View attachment 28884View attachment 28885

Thanks stu

I had exactly the same issue with a Rem SPS .223 and Lapua brass. My guess is yours is the same small fully enclosed bolt face with the paper clip extractor?

It's down to the extractor being too stiff and proud and not having enough room to move and subsequently being forced over the case head which only happens when you close the bolt which is what makes it stiff and mauls the case head.
Scratches are most likely from the ramp.

Last edited:
Thanks stu

They look like magazine marks to me. Are you hand feeding individual rounds or feeding from the magazine? If you are feeding from the magazine, try single feeding directly into the chamber. If that doesn't produce the marks, then it is definitely magazine marks in which case strip down the magazine and polish the feed lips with either a hand file or abrasive paper.

-JMS

Looks like the extratactor's not riding over the rim properly. Never seen this before in a Remington...new rifle? Take it back and moan. Old rifle? Take it to a 'smith who knows what they are doing. Should just be a bit of fiddling or a new extractor.

That seems logical, and the resistance is then making the magazine lips scape along the sides of the case?

Another plus for the extractor theory , the damage to the rim of the case and tight to push down bolt would point to this - try loading a round then turn the bolt as if to unload ,draw the bolt back 1/2" and then load the round again , if the bolt now closes with less effort it means the round / rim is having to be forced over the extractor in the first loading of the round - because in the second loading of the round / rim is already over the extractor .
If you are still having a problem with a hard to close bolt even with the round / rim already past the extractor it may well be a tight headspace issue - but i doubt it - because of the damage to the rim.
The scratches to the side wall of the case are probably a different issue , burr on the chamber possibly.

All in all if its a new rifle - back to the shop for them to sort it out !

As above, all makes sense.:thumb:

You have two issues, they could both have happened at same time.

I did read that you single load into chamber so that's the Mag theory out.lol. so made me laugh that a few didn't read the posts:doh: .lol.

the scratches on the case would be a burr, just not sure it in the chamber, if it was them you would be having the marks in the same place every time, including the extractor clamping mark.
looking as the shape of the marks though it would suggest it is in the first part of chamber. there is the curved mark of the round entering and then the straight line of the bolt coming back with the case locked in the extractor.

the mark on the rim is extractor. i dare say it needs a very fine fettle to take the some of the height out of it.

take back to shop is the only real answer, get the scope in there and have a look.

Back