Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: .222 for foxes

.222 for foxes

Been thinking about getting a .222 for foxing and before I shell out(excuse the pun) on one I was wondering other peoples views on the calibre please?

Anschutz .222 BRILLIANT.

Quote Originally Posted by perdix View Post
    Been thinking about getting a .222 for foxing and before I shell out(excuse the pun) on one I was wondering other peoples views on the calibre please?
    great little tool for fox keep it under 200 yards it will be fine

Nice one.
    I love the Anschutz rifles having had a couple of smaller calibre ones.
    Thanks for the 200 yard tip too.
    ​I've used a .223 now and again but I was concerned that the .222 wouldn't be quite as good for some obscure reason.

Quote Originally Posted by perdix View Post
    Nice one.
    I love the Anschutz rifles having had a couple of smaller calibre ones.
    Thanks for the 200 yard tip too.
    ​I've used a .223 now and again but I was concerned that the .222 wouldn't be quite as good for some obscure reason.
    You'd barely spot the difference in use. The .222 is one of the most inherently accurate rounds ever produced.
    I have got a .223 but my mate does just as well with an old BSA .222

Quote Originally Posted by Crosshair243 View Post
    You'd barely spot the difference in use. The .222 is one of the most inherently accurate rounds ever produced.
    I have got a .223 but my mate does just as well with an old BSA .222
    That's good to know.Thankyou.

.222 is a superb round

If mines drop bucks, I`m sure it will manage charlie no issue.

I have a Tika M595 and it is the best shooting gun I have ever owned. Amazingly accurate, cheap to feed, and bugger me does it hit hard enough.

I have to agree with the fact that the .222 is an excellent foxing round!
    I use a CZ 527 in .222 for foxing and it is surprisingly accurate out to 200 yards using Partizan 50g ammunition which is only costing me around £9.50 per box. I would have to suggest that if you need to go beyond 200 yards for a fox you could do with brushing up on your fieldcarft so the rifle is more than capable of dealing with Charlie in the biggest majority of situations.
    As has been said, a .222 is well capable of dealing with deer (Subject to correct shot placement - In Scotland but only legal for Munties and CWD in England) so there is no reason whatsoever why it would not be more than capable for fox shooting!
    I wouldn't be without mine for both power, accuracy and economy, it is more than accurate enough to head shoot rabbits at 150 yards and foxes drop without a twitch when hit with it!
    Last edited by FrenchieBoy; 02-06-2013 at 06:34.

I bought a Tikka 595 stainless in .222 about 5 years ago. Superb gun which ive shot quite a few foxes snd Roe with. The Norma 40g vmax is a great bullet.

You are going to have to look long and far to find someone who doesn't think that the .222rem isn't a brilliant calibre for foxing. No doubt someone will come along though and try to persaude you to go for it's newer cousin the .223rem or something much faster and noisier such as a .22-250rem. Try one and you will be convinced though and will appreciate it for what it is and does with very little noise and fuss.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.