Thread: roe deer grunting

roe deer grunting

Do roe deer grunt in warning to other deer,asking because i was stalking yesterday,an twice i heard it in the woods,not so much a grunt more like the noise your belly makes when its rumbling

Yep
    small deep grunt very low tone been stood so close to roe before and heard them making this noise and the bigger the buck the deeper the note my mates take the p##s when i tell them about the experiance
    i try to imitate it probibly why the p##s take
    bally

Hi

I have read and seen a natural science program that elephant (yes I know a completely different species) use low/very low frequency? sound to communicate over long distances.

Why not a different species.......

Cheers, L

Heard a doe and fawns (March) stood under highseat that I was sat in, grunting to each other on the approach of a walker. it was a very low, gutteral noise

In my experience Roe will slip off quietly or if settled they might watch until they get suspicious at which point they might give out a single low Boh! This is often followed by more, especially if they are significantly bothered. You know if they are beating a retreat when you hear Boh-Boh!, Boh!, Boh! fading into the distance. Different deer will of course have a differing pitch of bark so maybe yours was a big one? Can't say I've heard a belly rumble type noise and I've had plenty under high seats but maybe I will one day!

Dorset is more chalky than Somerset. Maybe a Rennie/Settler effect on ruminations?

No chalk where i am. They must be getting rennie imported. Whilst on the subject has anyone had a wild deer give themselves away with a fart?

Quote Originally Posted by Tackleberry270 View Post
    No chalk where i am. They must be getting rennie imported. Whilst on the subject has anyone had a wild deer give themselves away with a fart?
    Once embarrassed by an old dear in the supermarket .
    Last edited by snowy; 03-06-2013 at 16:06. Reason: grammar
    Better to have failed again than to have lifted someones leg