Powder scales

I'm using a set of cheap digital ones from eBay and a set of lee scales. Don't feel 100% about either

I wondered about a cheap set of digital ones from amazon and checking them every fifth load against a known weight measured on some expensive ones. I've just bought a lee classic loader and thought that would be more accurate than using a dipper.

I wondered about a cheap set of digital ones from amazon and checking them every fifth load against a known weight measured on some expensive ones. I've just bought a lee classic loader and thought that would be more accurate than using a dipper.

I have a set of lee scales that I no longer need if anyone wants them. They are boxed and in excellent condition. £ 24 posted. pm me if interested. atb Tim

Frankford Kinetic hammer @ £12 posted also available

Last edited:
rcbs 505, about the best you will get for the price of a second hand set,

never liked digital gear way to sensitive for me.

bob.

I use the Lee scales. They are a bit of a fiddle but do fine for my modest reloading requirements.

There was a chap some years back who was something of an expert on scales. He carried out a lot of testing on the scales he had available to him, good and well designed experiments which gave solid and statistically significant results. He had access to a very accurate lab scale on which to measure charges weighed on the various scales he tested. I can't remember exactly now but would say he tested around 20 or so of the common reloading scales.

His remarkable discovery was that the Lee scale was both the most accurate (when you set it to 46.3 grains the charge actually came in at 46.3 grains when weighed on his reference lab scale) and the most repeatable.

Given this you probably don't have much to worry about when it comes to your Lee scale.

I agree Lee scales are a bit fiddly but very accurate, and that is the object of the exercise.

I agree Lee scales are a bit fiddly but very accurate, and that is the object of the exercise.

I found the same, but so fiddly it's a total pain, takes longer to measure one drop of powder than it takes to load another 10 rounds.
I used mine just once before upgrading to RCBS 505's

Neil. :)

Back