Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: anyone use nosler 125 gr ballistic tip in there 308 ???

anyone use nosler 125 gr ballistic tip in there 308 ???

Hi Guys

does anybody use the above load and if so what you using ???

Powder make and grains ????
    OAL ????

ATB

Dave

Used to use 49gn h4895, col to suit mag (71.5mm from memory), good on fallow, brutal on roe.

​work up, etc

I load for a mate and have worked up a great load in .308 using Nosler BT 125gr and N140. He has taken muntjac, roe, cwd and a gert big red stag with them. He is well pleased as they are way more accurate than the factory ammo he was using before. I can't remember charge weight or seating depth as I am abroad, sorry.

The 125g Noslers are a varmint bullet as I recall and really aren't that suitable unless neck shooting. There is no back end to them, very little to no weight retention.

Quote Originally Posted by Jager SA View Post
    The 125g Noslers are a varmint bullet as I recall and really aren't that suitable unless neck shooting. There is no back end to them, very little to no weight retention.

The .30 cal 125gr Nosler BT is a hunting grade bullet not varmint. Thicker jacket wall and base. A little more destructive than some, depending upon velocity, but definitely not a varmint bullet

.308 125g nosler bt with 48g of varget works well for me

I have tried these bullets without much success. I loaded some with a minimal charge of varget. Maybe the speed wasn't right for the bullet?.. but both the 2 roe deer I shot the bullet exploded on the shoulder, cricket ball sized entry wound, no exit. Both deer ran about 50 yards before dying. Like I said, perhaps I was unlucky with shot placement, or maybe they need to be driven at a certain speed to perform in a certain way?.? I have never had any problems with 150grbt on roe, driven at moderate velocities.

Quote Originally Posted by 223 View Post
    Hi Guys

does anybody use the above load and if so what you using ???

Powder make and grains ????
    OAL ????

ATB

Dave
    Ive a mate who swears by them for Red he uses varget to push them.

Nutty

Quote Originally Posted by Penyard View Post
    The .30 cal 125gr Nosler BT is a hunting grade bullet not varmint. Thicker jacket wall and base. A little more destructive than some, depending upon velocity, but definitely not a varmint bullet
    Dont think so mate but whatever you say.

It has a very low sectional density, is very frangable, essentially it's a hollow point with a polymer tip! I've used them before quite a lot years back on Hinds and purely neck shooting...the bullet has devastating results, not suitable.

A friend of mine shoots them at 3400 fps from a 30-06 AI, he describes them as "Emphatic"..