anyone use nosler 125 gr ballistic tip in there 308 ???

Distinguished Member
Hi Guys

does anybody use the above load and if so what you using ???

Powder make and grains ????
OAL ????

ATB

Dave

Used to use 49gn h4895, col to suit mag (71.5mm from memory), good on fallow, brutal on roe.

​work up, etc

I load for a mate and have worked up a great load in .308 using Nosler BT 125gr and N140. He has taken muntjac, roe, cwd and a gert big red stag with them. He is well pleased as they are way more accurate than the factory ammo he was using before. I can't remember charge weight or seating depth as I am abroad, sorry.

The 125g Noslers are a varmint bullet as I recall and really aren't that suitable unless neck shooting. There is no back end to them, very little to no weight retention.

The 125g Noslers are a varmint bullet as I recall and really aren't that suitable unless neck shooting. There is no back end to them, very little to no weight retention.

The .30 cal 125gr Nosler BT is a hunting grade bullet not varmint. Thicker jacket wall and base. A little more destructive than some, depending upon velocity, but definitely not a varmint bullet

I have tried these bullets without much success. I loaded some with a minimal charge of varget. Maybe the speed wasn't right for the bullet?.. but both the 2 roe deer I shot the bullet exploded on the shoulder, cricket ball sized entry wound, no exit. Both deer ran about 50 yards before dying. Like I said, perhaps I was unlucky with shot placement, or maybe they need to be driven at a certain speed to perform in a certain way?.? I have never had any problems with 150grbt on roe, driven at moderate velocities.

The .30 cal 125gr Nosler BT is a hunting grade bullet not varmint. Thicker jacket wall and base. A little more destructive than some, depending upon velocity, but definitely not a varmint bullet

Dont think so mate but whatever you say.

It has a very low sectional density, is very frangable, essentially it's a hollow point with a polymer tip! I've used them before quite a lot years back on Hinds and purely neck shooting...the bullet has devastating results, not suitable.

my pet load was 48gn n140 in lapua cases and fedmatch primer , snappy little round :cool:

A friend of mine shoots them at 3400 fps from a 30-06 AI, he describes them as "Emphatic"..
Probably the same bloke. SB?

​ Jäger SA, I think you will find that all polymer tipped bullets have a hollow point, including Accubonds and swift sciroccos that are as hard as a whores heart!

​ Jäger SA, I think you will find that all polymer tipped bullets have a hollow point, including Accubonds and swift sciroccos that are as hard as a whores heart!

Yep I'm sure, all I'm saying is the 125g are not suitable for Deer, doesn't mean folk won't use them. I know a few guys stateside that use these out of 300wsm for Yotes, most guys on the US forums will say these are a varmint bullet.

I used to use that combination all the time in a .308. I suddenly ran into a poor batch and stopped using them! That was with a 30-06 though!:lol: I believe Nosler have since sorted the issue? This was over 10 years ago.

According to Nosler site, the 125g .30 calibre bullet is a hunting bullet,

If you click products on the site you will see they have Ballistic Tip in 3 options - Varmint, Hunting and Lead Free.

The 30 cal. are only listed in Hunting.

Hope this clarifies, before we get to handbags at dawn.... ;)

I used them for years in a .308 and shot a lot of Fallow with them, excellent results a fair bit of meat damage but very very few runners.

According to Nosler site, the 125g .30 calibre bullet is a hunting bullet,

If you click products on the site you will see they have Ballistic Tip in 3 options - Varmint, Hunting and Lead Free.

The 30 cal. are only listed in Hunting.

Hope this clarifies, before we get to handbags at dawn.... ;)

Damn it, was just getting my ballistic tipped hand bag out!!!:D

To conclude, they are a hunting bullet but can be a little brutal at high speed or small deer. I would not recommend them for tough skinned game but have seen great results on deer with them. I seem to recall a post a while back which confirmed that Nosler had had some quality issues which had been sorted and thicker jacket wall used to beef it up a bit.

Not the same bloke but im pretty sure the same smith:rofl:

Not the same bloke but im pretty sure the same smith:rofl:
Yep, same smith. He has forgotten more than I will ever know about this stuff and kills some sort of deer with .30-06 AI and 125gr nosler BT hunting grade bullets. As mentioned in my original post, and to try and get back on topic, .308 with this bullet is a proven deer killer and, if it were a varmint bullet in hunting bullets clothing, doubt it would consistently exit on deer. Yes, a bit more meat damage than your average but depends on how much shoulder you want to eat!

Back