Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: .22WMR Choices/Advice

.22WMR Choices/Advice

I am currently in the market for a .22WMR . I have narrowed my choice down to 3 Rifles theses being a Mauser model 201, an Anschutz 1720 or an Anschutz 1522 with the 54 Match Action.
    What would you think would be the best choice.?
    Cheers
    Mick

I've a ruger 77/22 laminated and I cut the barrel to 16" and had it bedded and it loves the lighter offerings like 30g v max , not that that is any help to you , sorry!

No matter what rifle you choose be prepared to try several/all different makes of ammo to find the one that gives the best accuracy. I have seven 22WMR's. My #1 go-to is a CZ452 American. Excellent accuracy with several different makes of ammo.~Muir

Only 7 Muir I thought you'd have had at least a ozen! God you got it easy over there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    No matter what rifle you choose be prepared to try several/all different makes of ammo to find the one that gives the best accuracy. I have seven 22WMR's. My #1 go-to is a CZ452 American. Excellent accuracy with several different makes of ammo.~Muir
    LET HE WHO IS WITHOUT SIN CAST THE FIRST STONE & PREVENTION IS BETTER THAN CURE!

Well. I also have a few extra Green Mountain barrels for my Rugers. I do like the 22WMR...~Muir

PS: For what it's worth, I have found three different ammo types to be somewhat universally accurate in all my guns. Federal 40 grain FMJ (or it's twin sister, the 40 grain CCI "TMJ") Federal 30 grain Classic (accurate, explosive and fast) and the Remington Premier 33 grain ballistic tip which has a great BC if not a lot of speed. The most accurate 22WMR I have shot was the Aguila "Silver Eagle" 40 grain jacketed soft point. Slow at 1880 fps but match grade accurate from my Ruger, CZ and Marlin rifles; one hole at 50M. Unfortunately, after initial testing, the decision was made not to import it to the US so I can't get it any more.

I have a slot on my ticket for a 22wmr but I haven't filled it YET I'm looking for an accurate semi for pest control just because I dislike the 17hmr
    LET HE WHO IS WITHOUT SIN CAST THE FIRST STONE & PREVENTION IS BETTER THAN CURE!

I have a remington 597, functions flawlesslly and accuratley in wmr

Quote Originally Posted by CWMMAN3738 View Post
    I have a slot on my ticket for a 22wmr but I haven't filled it YET I'm looking for an accurate semi for pest control just because I dislike the 17hmr
    I handled a CZ 512 (IIRC) the other week. Not too expensive and it uses standard 452 magazines. I can't imagine it is inaccurate. I have a Brno 611 that is sterling but I believe out of production and the magazines are scarce on this side of the pond.~Muir

Nemesis,

of your 3 bolt actions I'd go for the Mauser, then the 1720 but discount the 54 as they're clunky and no more accurate than the 64s.

Cwmman3738,

Another vote for the 597 - mine is reliable and very accurate now I've had the barrel cropped and properly free-floated it.

I have an old Marlin In 22 WMR it works well with 30 grain Vmax and 40 grain CCI. The Marlin was a right bargain and is very accurate to boot.