.22WMR Choices/Advice

NEMESIS

I am currently in the market for a .22WMR . I have narrowed my choice down to 3 Rifles theses being a Mauser model 201, an Anschutz 1720 or an Anschutz 1522 with the 54 Match Action.
What would you think would be the best choice.?
Cheers
Mick

I've a ruger 77/22 laminated and I cut the barrel to 16" and had it bedded and it loves the lighter offerings like 30g v max , not that that is any help to you , sorry!

No matter what rifle you choose be prepared to try several/all different makes of ammo to find the one that gives the best accuracy. I have seven 22WMR's. My #1 go-to is a CZ452 American. Excellent accuracy with several different makes of ammo.~Muir

Only 7 Muir I thought you'd have had at least a ozen!:rofl: God you got it easy over there.
No matter what rifle you choose be prepared to try several/all different makes of ammo to find the one that gives the best accuracy. I have seven 22WMR's. My #1 go-to is a CZ452 American. Excellent accuracy with several different makes of ammo.~Muir

Well. I also have a few extra Green Mountain barrels for my Rugers. I do like the 22WMR...~Muir

PS: For what it's worth, I have found three different ammo types to be somewhat universally accurate in all my guns. Federal 40 grain FMJ (or it's twin sister, the 40 grain CCI "TMJ") Federal 30 grain Classic (accurate, explosive and fast) and the Remington Premier 33 grain ballistic tip which has a great BC if not a lot of speed. The most accurate 22WMR I have shot was the Aguila "Silver Eagle" 40 grain jacketed soft point. Slow at 1880 fps but match grade accurate from my Ruger, CZ and Marlin rifles; one hole at 50M. Unfortunately, after initial testing, the decision was made not to import it to the US so I can't get it any more.

I have a slot on my ticket for a 22wmr but I haven't filled it YET I'm looking for an accurate semi for pest control just because I dislike the 17hmr

I have a slot on my ticket for a 22wmr but I haven't filled it YET I'm looking for an accurate semi for pest control just because I dislike the 17hmr

I handled a CZ 512 (IIRC) the other week. Not too expensive and it uses standard 452 magazines. I can't imagine it is inaccurate. I have a Brno 611 that is sterling but I believe out of production and the magazines are scarce on this side of the pond.~Muir

Nemesis,

of your 3 bolt actions I'd go for the Mauser, then the 1720 but discount the 54 as they're clunky and no more accurate than the 64s.

Cwmman3738,

Another vote for the 597 - mine is reliable and very accurate now I've had the barrel cropped and properly free-floated it.

I have an old Marlin In 22 WMR it works well with 30 grain Vmax and 40 grain CCI. The Marlin was a right bargain and is very accurate to boot.

thanks Mr Gain,
Thats the answer I really wanted!
I love the Muser Action & the Anschutz 54 is based on the Mauser .. however all the Target guys go for the Anschutz.. I'm only after small game but I really want the consistant Accuracy, a good positive action and a "safety" I can get along with. The safety on my 1515 is a bit .. well... to my mind "Heath Robinson" same as the bolt release... maybe thats why there are so many 1515/16 for sale?
Cheers
For you reply

I have a nice winchester for sale in 22wmr - complete with rounds - you are welcome to try it out for accuracy as you won't be disappointed.

regards,
​gixer

I have the Sako varmint barrel .22 and the .22 WMR

They both shoot sub .50 at 60 and 100 yds respectively

2.5 - 10 x56 Schmidt zenith illuminated on FD7 reticule

I use the WMR sighted into and used up to a 100 mtrs using Hornady 30 grn BT, can't fault it - really accurate and does the job faultlessly, decent bit of kit.

I have a 597 Remington, and also a marlin 980 DL. My 980 is really my favorite of the two, it has more than a few coyotes to its record. My property is surrounded by farm fields, and I have a creek at the rear of my 36 acres. The 980 has had quite a bit of use, due to the fact, the wife unit doesn't like her chickens going missing. I haven't found the 22 mag lacking, if I do my assigned task, usually the result is a quickly deceased coyote.

I have a WMR Sako Quad
use 30gr Gamehead or 33gr Rem Accutip with equally good results

Was my urban fox calibre of choice before I saw the .222 light

I used to have a CZ WMR in American, it was bloody fantastic don't know why I got rid. The Remington 33 grainers were the most accurate, closely followed by the federal 40 grain offerings, which were my main choice, and unbelievably I could get a inch and a half group at 100 yards with the Federal 50 grain!

John

I have always found the seventeen series very good rifles indeed. I have three, in 22LR 17HMR and 223.

There was a 1720 for sale on Pigeon Watch in Novenber last year for £500 I don't know if it sold or not. May be worth a look.

Back