Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Run out of elevation adjust.

Run out of elevation adjust.

I was zeroing my new (to me) Tikka T3 in .223 fitted with Bushnell 6-18 x 50 scope on optilock mounts and have run out of elevation adjustment.

The rifle is still shooting about 4" high at 50 yards and the elevation turret is at the end of adjustment.
    The question is... what's the best way to correct this?.

I'm reluctant to shim the scope as this may damage it.

Anyone got experience of this?.

Thanks,

​fraser

shim the mount, sliver of coke can to start with under rear mount i think then add more if required

If your out of adjustment something is wrong, best to sort the problem out than to shim a scope mount.

Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet 6 View Post
    If your out of adjustment something is wrong, best to sort the problem out than to shim a scope mount.

Neil.
    +1

Have you tried different brands of ammunition?

Is the scope 1 inch tube ? If so bin the optilocs. Fit weaver bases and get some burris rings with inserts
    you can then gain your elevation back this way.

Something isn't right though with your current set up. Is the scope adjustment working properly

ill admit it, I thought I had similar problem once..........turns out I was clever enough to have been turning the turrets the wrong way.

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)
    Chances are the shop that sold you the gun and mounts have buggered it up and given you the wrong mounts. Happened to me. Have a look at your scope and see it it looks like it on the pi$$
    “Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”........Dalai Lama

Try swapping the front bottom half of the ring to the rear. I take it one base has a recoil lug? Regards JCS

Thanks for replies gents.

The rifle shoots same-ish amount high with 3 different brands of ammo.
    The good news is it groups well with all brands too, but I'm only shooting at 50 yards.

Teyhan1...yes, the shop did sell me the mounts and fitted them too so I'll check on that asap.

It all Looks ok, but it doesn't shoot ok.

​Work in progress, I'll let you know how it turns out.

Thanks,

fraser

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet 6 View Post

Neil.
    +1 0n that. Obviously something isn't mounted right or you have to wrong mounts. Optilock take some beating and centre things up quite nicely. Do not go messing about shimming the scope, that would be plain silly. Check that you have the correct mounts first of all and that they are fitted properly (read the instructions). If that doesn't solve it try a different scope in the mounts.
    Personally I can't see it being a problem with either the rifle or the Optilock system other than if they aren't fitted correctly or as previously mentioned they are the wrong mounts.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.