Butollo Callers - Any good?

FrenchieBoy

I am looking at progressing with my Roe Stalking and am thinking about getting a Butollo Roe Deer Caller to "add to my armoury of equipment". Do any of you experienced guys out there have one and use a Butollo Caller and if so are they as good as the write ups on them make them out to be please? I don't want to waste my money buying something that doesn't work and ends up just gathering dust so your honest thoughts, opinions and experiences with these callers are most welcome!

Thanks in advance!

I uses buttolo caller for muntjac but I prefer the cherrywood caller for roe. Glyn

Thanks Glyn. Could you please expand on why you prefer the cherrywood caller for roe. i.e. Dop they give a more realistic sound, are they longer lasting, etc?

+1 for the cherrywood - the pitch is more variable due to the turn-screw adjustment and also your breath control helps to vary the level of phep compared to thumb control with the Buttolo (in my oppinion...).

Rgds

Rob

I uses buttolo caller for muntjac but I prefer the cherrywood caller for roe. Glyn

I haven't tried the Cherrywood before but i just found this video. V impressive response, even after the buck winded him. Think i may invest.

Last edited:
I haven't tried the Cherrywood before but i just found this video. V impressive response, even after the buck winded him. Think i may invest.

Thanks for that Hedgehopper. I have just spent ages going through YouTube watching videos on calling roe deer and had missed that one. It certainly is impressive even after the buck had winded him!

They are both excellent calls but if you want control the cherrywood has it, it gives off lots of variable tones and can be vey quite as well. Thinking about getting another but the buttalo is still working well for me!

Thank you all for the replies, thoughts and opinions. At the moment it looks remarkably like things are swaying me slightly more towards the Cherrywood Caller as it seems to be a little more versatile, and I guess being made of wood it might last longer than a rubber Butollo which I surpose could perish in time - Even though the Cherrywood Caller might take a bit of practice to master - But that like most other things I guess is part of the pleasure of shooting!

If you can get your hands on one of these they have variable pitch and work better than the straight buttalo.
Image0050.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I value and appreciate all of the thoughts and advice given guys. Many Thanks!
I have been out to the gun shop to pick up some spare ammunition for my .222 and while I was there I spotted a Cherrywood Caller brand new for £11.90. They didn't have a Butoloo in stock so the decision was made for me.
All i have to do now is master the different pitches and calls!
Thank you all for the help offered!:tiphat:

Speaking of "squeeking" I was trying to call fox on Sunday morning using an open reed only to have a very nice but indignant young buck stick his head into the cover I was behind! Don’t think I’ve heard a roe bark so loud and for so long as he did such was the annoyance once the mistake was realized!

Pity I only had the 22 Hornet with me as I could have shot it several times over such was its reluctance to leave the scene completely.

K

Yeah they work but it takes experience and practice. Nothing ventured nothing gained so give it a go and let us know how you get on.

I understand that the cherrywood call compliments the butollo. The Butollo works for distant work and the softer cherrywood for close up stuff. I plan on giving this idea a go this rut, but have used the butollo previously it takes a bit of practice for good results.

I understand that the cherrywood call compliments the butollo. The Butollo works for distant work and the softer cherrywood for close up stuff. I plan on giving this idea a go this rut, but have used the butollo previously it takes a bit of practice for good results.

So are you suggesting that maybe as a "long term thing" it might be well worth while investing in both for serious Roe Stalking? And are they more effective during the rut or are they likely to work throught most of the year - Obviously taking into account the closed seasons for bucks and Does.

IMO choose one and practice (but not on your ground!). Also the butallo have a very small screw hidden under the dust cover that can fine tune the pitch.

Richard Priors roe calling CD is worth its weight in gold as well.

Best of luck

Back