Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ambush problem

ambush problem

I'd appreciate some thoughts on the following problem:

On my permission, there is a perfect spot on a small knoll overlooking a secluded corner of a very large field. The corner is in a dip, bounded on two sides by dense forestry that is not on my permission. Roe love this little patch, with 2-6 appearing there every dry morning/evening (they come out of the forsestry, and never move more than about 50m away from it).

The knoll is really very small - not more than 2m high, 4m across, and the last 50m of the approach has to be done as a flat crawl. There is only one route to it that keeps you out of sight of any deer in the dip.

It is the perfect ambush spot, and I've had 4 deer from it in the last 2 weeks. It's the one place I can be almost certain there will be deer.

However, the grass is now about to get high enough that it will no longer be possible to take prone shots from the knoll. Standing is not an option - at least not until the grass is at least waist high. Even then, I'd be a little unfcomfortable shooting off sticks, since the deer are usually 150-200m from the knoll.

What would people suggest?

Build a small high seat on that spot.

If you can't build a hide and are allowed just get a petrol strimmer out, twenty minutes if noise cutting only what you need to, job jobbed ..... For a couple of weeks anyway!!

I'm going to have to do this shortly on a route to a highseat because of bracken.

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Build a low/doe seat? If you don't have plans for one, drop me a PM.

willie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

I'd put a couple of pallets in the grass and lie prone on them perhaps with a bit of ply& mat on for comfort, you could even poss put some cameo nett over them pegged up at front which would also keep the sun off you a bit when your under it.
    LET HE WHO IS WITHOUT SIN CAST THE FIRST STONE & PREVENTION IS BETTER THAN CURE!

Quote Originally Posted by Mungo View Post
    I'd appreciate some thoughts on the following problem:

On my permission, there is a perfect spot on a small knoll overlooking a secluded corner of a very large field. The corner is in a dip, bounded on two sides by dense forestry that is not on my permission. Roe love this little patch, with 2-6 appearing there every dry morning/evening (they come out of the forsestry, and never move more than about 50m away from it).

The knoll is really very small - not more than 2m high, 4m across, and the last 50m of the approach has to be done as a flat crawl. There is only one route to it that keeps you out of sight of any deer in the dip.

It is the perfect ambush spot, and I've had 4 deer from it in the last 2 weeks. It's the one place I can be almost certain there will be deer.

However, the grass is now about to get high enough that it will no longer be possible to take prone shots from the knoll. Standing is not an option - at least not until the grass is at least waist high. Even then, I'd be a little unfcomfortable shooting off sticks, since the deer are usually 150-200m from the knoll.

What would people suggest?
    Try a sitting shot of sticks or over a pack, with elbows braced against your knees - almost as stable as prone and easy enough to get into and shoot over longer grass, heather etc. Put a mineral block down there as well to bring a bit closer to the knoll.

Quote Originally Posted by Holland&Holland View Post
    Build a small high seat on that spot.
    I'd thought about this - but it would be skylined, very exposed and impossible to get into without being seen for 600m in almost every direction.

However, I have no experience with high seats. Once in the seat, would they ignore someone, even though it would be right out in the open?

Mungo you would need to have the seat/blind enclosed so you are not seen. my seats out in the open i cover the ladder section and you walk up the inside so you are not visible whilst climbing and also sat inside the seat/blind you can also use this to walk towards so again you have cover.
    my experience is deer get used to seats very quickly and they wont bat an eyelid, good luck wayne

just one other thing if you cover a seat /ladder make sure it is well strapped down with guide ropes or it will blow down
    Last edited by mereside; 03-06-2013 at 11:19.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/UKSHA/502164506587351
    uksha
    Discretion assured - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857
    please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

Doe box sounds good - maybe even just some willow fencing panels

of course, being a grassy knoll, what you really need is a nice picket fence to hide behind...

​IGMC

At the risk of committing heresy, you could just leave that spot alone for a week or two until the grass is cut?
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......