Thread: S&B 7x57 brass / RCBS case holder problem.

S&B 7x57 brass / RCBS case holder problem.

Before I break out the milling machine, I though I'd check to see if anyone had found a solution to this in the past.

I need to load some 7x57 cases but have found that the pile of shiny new Sellier & Bellot brass I've sourced does not fit into either the Lee No.2 primer case holder or any of the correct RCBS, Lee or Hornady .308/.270/.243 case holders on my bench. It looks like the cases have a V-profile extraction groove (I'm sure there's a more technical name) rather than the square profile groove on the few American Federal cases I have here...and yes, I have checked I'm not trying to load rimmed cases thinking they're rimless ones .

Apparently this is also a problem with RWS cases in 7x57.

Before I machine 0.005" off the lip of both case holders, has anyone found a proprietary solution?

(time is a bit short because I'm off to Africa for a month next weekend and need to have this solved before I depart).

Cheers.

Hi

If you are going to stick with S&B or RWS brass, I'd take a Dremel to or machine? a#2 shellholder and keep it for that specific purpose. I would not modify the actual brass.

I have had similar experience and decided to pass on the RWS brass to a friend who was looking for 7x57 brass for a wildcat round, and I moved to using Norma brass, which has proved very satisfactory on all counts.

Option 1 will probably solve your problem quickly. Of course this is only my experience and Others may have more useful suggestions to make.

​Good luck in Africa!

I wasn't planning on messing with the brass itself - that would probably be a messy shortcut to head separation, with unpleasant consequences ! Unfortunately we couldn't find any new Norma or US manufactured brass in 7mm Mauser anywhere in the country and the S&B cases were the only available option, so I'm stuck with them.

According to my local machine shop, both the Lee and RCBS holders are hardened to quite a considerable degree, so machining is out. It looks like a Dremel with a grinding head is going to be the only option in the time I have available, so no more coffee for the next few hours to ensure my hands are as steady as possible.

I had all my shell holders squared up the face machined by the person who built my rifle there was no mention of being to hard to machine.
    Too Old Soon Too Late Smart

Quote Originally Posted by Adamant View Post
    I need to load some 7x57 cases but have found that the pile of shiny new Sellier & Bellot brass I've sourced does not fit into either the Lee No.2 primer case holder or any of the correct RCBS, Lee or Hornady .308/.270/.243 case holders on my bench. It looks like the cases have a V-profile extraction groove (I'm sure there's a more technical name) rather than the square profile groove on the few American Federal cases I have here...and yes, I have checked I'm not trying to load rimmed cases thinking they're rimless ones .

Apparently this is also a problem with RWS cases in 7x57.

Before I machine 0.005" off the lip of both case holders, has anyone found a proprietary solution?
    Both the S&B and RWS cases are the right size. It's the Federal cases that are wrong. The 7x57 case has a thinner rim of a larger diameter than the .243 case. All the US reloading manuals have it as .473", and the industry turn out cases of this size and shellholders to match. It makes the inventory so much easier.

The right rim size is .476". The extraction groove and flange is the same shape (trapezoid I think) no matter whether a case is U.S. or European. The profile of the American shellholders just isn't right on very rare occasions. I've had trouble with RWS cases in .270.

Anyway, just get hold of the nearest matching shellholder which will accept a marginally wider rim. The #3 (6.5x55) shellholder (.479" rim) will work fine. Don't try to machine a #2 (.243/308) or you'll probably b**ger it up for these calibres.
    Last edited by Sinistral; 03-06-2013 at 19:02.
    If I'm going to be accused of it then it's just as well I did it.