Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Home made boreguide

Home made boreguide

Hi chaps, this may have been done before, but thought I'd share this with you I knocked up over the weekend. As I have older rifles it's a pain getting boreguides to fit properly and the 'universal' ones you get are generally a bit crap for the money!

So I thought seeing as a case fits properly in the chamber I must be able to utilise one for a guide for my 22-250.

The list of materials

2 empty 22-250 cases
    Short length of speedfit 15mm pipe. This is good as it is twinwall and not very flexible
    Some o-rings
    Drill bits
    A kettle
    Small circular file

The sequence

Pop (or drill) the primers out of the pockets, leaving the small hole in the case as a central guide for drilling
    Open up the primer pocket to 5.5 or 6mm to take the cleaning rod without too much play
    File off the burrs inside and out so they don't strip the coating on the cleaning rod!!
    Cut the speedfit pipe to length to suit your rifle
    Heat up the ends of the pipe in boiling water and push one case in each end. One goes right in and one sticks out where it enters the chamber.
    Place a small o-ring around the neck of the case to stop cleaning agent seeping into the action.
    Optional - I placed another o-ring part way along the pipe which sits snuggly where the bolt goes in and keeps the rod lined up nicely.

And that's it! The pictures explain things better and it's basically free if you can get hold of the pipe from work like I did!!

Follow my stalking journey & SD sponsored DSC1 progress blog here

DSC1 forum sponsorship - Blogs - The Stalking Directory

Established Poster
    Nice idea, although I would imagine with any half decent copper solvent the brass casses would lead to false readings....

Yep you're right mate it's been pointed out that my brainwave might not be quite as good as I 1st thought!!
    Follow my stalking journey & SD sponsored DSC1 progress blog here

DSC1 forum sponsorship - Blogs - The Stalking Directory

Back to the DSC1 study pack?!

Joking aside I shouldn’t be too hard on yourself as since when has brass been copper?

With the inner neck nicely burnished I can’t see it preventing you getting a clean patch once past the initial vigorous de-crudding stage.

Cheers

K

Cartridge brass = Copper and approx 30% Zinc

OK I lobbed magnesium ribbon down the school bog too back in the day but I’m just trying to help Stratts out a little here.

Prior to casting my bore guides in the Den scrap bin as more a hindrance than help they were only ever deployed for the initial messy solvent and bronze brush stage, whereupon I reverted to a well aimed patch c/o eye and steady arm. I suggest the same approach for Stratts development.

K

That light bulb hit me this weekend after I was looking at bore guides in a shop. Spooky! Why pay 30 when I've got the stuff for free. Actually drilled out the cases on Friday and looking for some pipe. Will be copying this for sure. Don't think the brass will cause too much disruption to my cleaning regime. Like klenchblaize said it's really handy for the messier side of cleaning.

Quote Originally Posted by Klenchblaize View Post
    OK I lobbed magnesium ribbon down the school bog too back in the day but I’m just trying to help Stratts out a little here.

Prior to casting my bore guides in the Den scrap bin as more a hindrance than help they were only ever deployed for the initial messy solvent and bronze brush stage, whereupon I reverted to a well aimed patch c/o eye and steady arm. I suggest the same approach for Stratts development.

K
    Magnesium ribbon down the bog will not do anything...

Home brew...

I think you guys have to much spare time on your hands!
    Seriously though well done if I had not bought one I would give it a try myself.