Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Homemade bore guide

Homemade bore guide

Thought I'd post this here as well as the top tips forum as it's relevant to gun cleaning.

Hi chaps, this may have been done before, but thought I'd share this with you I knocked up over the weekend. As I have older rifles it's a pain getting boreguides to fit properly and the 'universal' ones you get are generally a bit crap for the money!

So I thought seeing as a case fits properly in the chamber I must be able to utilise one for a guide for my 22-250.

The list of materials

2 empty 22-250 cases
    Short length of speedfit 15mm pipe. This is good as it is twinwall and not very flexible
    Some o-rings
    Drill bits
    A kettle
    Small circular file

The sequence

Pop (or drill) the primers out of the pockets, leaving the small hole in the case as a central guide for drilling
    Open up the primer pocket to 5.5 or 6mm to take the cleaning rod without too much play
    File off the burrs inside and out so they don't strip the coating on the cleaning rod!!
    Cut the speedfit pipe to length to suit your rifle
    Heat up the ends of the pipe in boiling water and push one case in each end. One goes right in and one sticks out where it enters the chamber.
    Place a small o-ring around the neck of the case to stop cleaning agent seeping into the action.
    Optional - I placed another o-ring part way along the pipe which sits snuggly where the bolt goes in and keeps the rod lined up nicely.

And that's it! The pictures explain things better and it's basically free if you can get hold of the pipe from work like I did!!

Follow my stalking journey & SD sponsored DSC1 progress blog here

DSC1 forum sponsorship - Blogs - The Stalking Directory

That's genius, I'm going to try that! Thanks.

​Those brass cases should guide the solvent soaked patches nicely, keep scrubbing until you get a clean one out!

Well done. Cracking idea.
    Not too much more work required to create an opening at the back of pipe (just ahead of case) to permit pouring in solvent once patch has been placed in guide.

Cheers

K

Quote Originally Posted by Offroad Gary View Post

​Those brass cases should guide the solvent soaked patches nicely, keep scrubbing until you get a clean one out!
    Double !! I see what you mean mate never thought of that, obviously!! Revised method to include thoroughly cleaning the cases prior to use, but not sure how just yet.

And the beauty of the boreguide is it's easily strippable for cleaning, lol!!

Quote Originally Posted by Klenchblaize View Post
    Well done. Cracking idea.
    Not too much more work required to create an opening at the back of pipe (just ahead of case) to permit pouring in solvent once patch has been placed in guide.

Cheers

K
    Good idea but the front case will still need cleaning or as Gary pointed out, you'll be scrubbing a while waiting for a clean patch!!

think perhaps he means the copper content in the brass will continue to give copper signs long after the barrel is clean!

​like the O ring and the stiff pipe
    mine:

Something gone walkabouts here!

I'm going to have a go at making one for a couple of calibre's, I may try nickel cases to stop the brass giving a false reading.

Quote Originally Posted by Klenchblaize View Post
    Something gone walkabouts here!
    You've been moderated, that will teach you to make too much noise

Neil.

For forgetting it was a potassium stool-like sample and not magnesium ribbon I lobbed into the school bog back in 1972??

How many moderations is one permitted before being hauled off to SD Room 101??

K
    Last edited by Klenchblaize; 04-06-2013 at 16:48.