Gun shops in the Edinburgh area

perdix

As I'm new to the area I was wondering if anyone might point me in the direction of any decent shops around here other than Dicksons please?

As I'm new to the area I was wondering if anyone might point me in the direction of any decent shops around here other than Dicksons please?

Yes, Macleods in Tain is where I go. I've been back in Edinburgh now for nearly 20 years and Gregor is the man to speak to. Regards JCS

Last edited:
Almost word for word the same question I asked a year ago!

I have since come to think that Dickson's are actually very good indeed. Expensive, yes, but exceptionally helpful and friendly. They've gone well out of their way to help me a few times, for little or no cost. I'm happy to buy my ammo from them now, and be done with the hassle of travelling out to get it.

The alternatives are all a long way out:

Tony Russell in West Lothian: friendly and helpful (and cheap). Runs out of his home. Only interacted with once, but was impressed.
Borders Gun room in Newton St Boswells. Could do with some customer service lessons - treating newcomers as idiots to be tolerated with mocking indulgence is not a way to win repeat cutom.
Bushwear in Stirling and Perth: never actually been inside, but we all know the wonders of their website (and the life time of catalogues that follows). Exceptionally good online customer support, but have no idea what they're like in the flesh.
And there is supposedly a place in Haddington (JS Mains?), but I don't know anything about them.

Just looked at your location - you should only be 10mins or so from Tony Russell. He's on here, but I can't remember his alias.

And there is John Low, just over the bridge in Fife above Burntisland - again now trades from home 07986 272416

There are a few

Borders is good. A tad marmite it seems, but I have always had very good deals from Sean

Dicksons is a superb shop. Very helpful and freindly. Always willing to do a deal.

Cluny Clays Gunroom as well. Robin is great to deal with and again, always tries to get you the best possible deal

Mains in Haddington sells ammo, and is an RFD but is not on the network and does not sell guns. Absolute superstar of a man though, I practically live in teh shop during the season.

I was also at Braidwood clay ground the other week, and the gunroom there seemed quite good as well. Small, but the chap was extremely nice and helpfull.

Is Cluny clays not also just across the brig? I see that has been answered

If ur heading down the borders there is also Game and Country in Selkirk

Seems there are a lot more than I thought!
Thanks for the info lads.Very much appreciated

The new guy at Braidwood Clays between Selkirk and St Boswells has a few more rifles and shotguns in than before.

The clays are still too bloody difficult for me to hit many. But they should have their totally covered rifle pipe range up and running in a few months. So rifle load testing will be easier.

I suppose it depends what you are after. I visit most of the ones mentioned, depending on my needs.

Cheers,

hh

Hiya, You're only 25 mins up the motorway to Bushwear in Stirling, superbly stocked showroom, and great customer service.....they have tons of gear for sale. This is from a very satisfied customer...:)
​Theirs also Weir Game in Kircaldy...:)

Last edited:
Just looked at your location - you should only be 10mins or so from Tony Russell. He's on here, but I can't remember his alias.

J Russell F/A Ltd
Tony and Julie work from home and Tony is a good lad to deal with,
perdix pm me if you want contact number or directions to his place they have helped me out in the past:thumb:
You will get them on here as J Russell F/A Ltd.

Bushwear in Stirling and Perth are good and not too condescending...unusual these days.
They have a good stock of "stuff" of which a lot is NOT on the website. Got a good supply of bits (powder, bullets) last time I was there.
Their bullet supply is greater than what the website indicates: actually stock useful hunting stuff.
Also carry some firearms although not to the degree of my "local" MacLeod's of Tain.

Back