Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Munty with a few mates

Munty with a few mates

Attachment 28961Attachment 28960Attachment 28959Attachment 28958

Having discussed the opportunity many times(With my good mate Tony (TikkaT3)) previously we finally managed to get a North and South team of 10 together for a bit of Munty stalking in Cambridge with the option of a Roe buck if we wished (at agreed prices which were more than reasonable). Mainly lads of the Stalking directory who have either known each other personally for a long time plus others who have met through the forum but never met in person. The plan was to meet at Chippenham estate in Cambridge which is well managed by a chap called Jim Riley. Some of the lads had visited the estate previously but for the northerners it was a new venue.
    We met up and had an early dinner at a local spot which was fantastic then Jim and his mate got ready to take us to the high seats that were well positioned across the estate. We set off at around 5:30pm to get settled in for the evening. The seats for the evening were situated on the outer perimeter of a very deep Fen with crop fields on the outer edges.

The weather was perfect and had been for a few days so we were hopeful for some movement. The height of the greenery did make things difficult especially for Munty but Jim had made a real effort the day before to get out and thin out the rides to aid in spotting them. For the evening session I unfortunately didn’t see any deer but could hear the crack of one or two shots in the distance which is always great to hear when your with a group of lads so I was hopeful of a few deer for the larder.

As dark arrived Jim came to collect us and I was please to learn that 2 lads from the Northern group (4 of us in total) had bagged a young Roe buck a Munty doe and a fox, (another fox had been shot but we couldn’t find it in the long stuff). Some of the other lads had also had success that night with a total of 3 Munties and Roe buck shot, one other Munty was missed oh and 2 Charlie’s plus one not found). Overall a great evening with a very pleased bunch of lads. 8 of the group were staying over until morning to see if we could bag some more. We retired to the local BB and had a few beers until 1am.

The alarm went off at 3:30am and we were all back out and ready to go for 4am. Even at 4am it was starting to get light so Jim and his mate got us to the high seats (situated within the park enclosure) as quickly as possible before 1st light. As we were driving to the park we spotted 4 Muntjac and a Roe buck so expectations were high in all of us.

Within 5 mins of sitting down I heard the crack of a high powered rifle followed by another crack. Nice one I thought someone has dropped one early...Unfortunately it was a double miss on the same Muntjac (Im not going to mention who but its not normal for him to miss a shot thats for sure). After about an hour I noticed some movement at the far hedge line apx 250 yards away from me. A deer crossed a small gap in the hedge moving left to right. I could tell if it was a buck or a Doe from the brief glimpse so I waited but it was definitely not coming in my direction. Knowing exactly where the other lads were situated I decided to stalk closer to it. I got to 120 yards and had a closer view of the deer. There were 2 Roe but unfortunately both Does. I stood and watched them for a while until they moved away. I decided to stay in this spot for awhile to see if any more came out as the sun started to rise.

It was not very long before I caught movement over to my left at 200 yards. Then very quickly another deer bounded out into the field, this looked different to me and I couldn’t understand what it was at first because it had turned rear on to me. As it moved across I could see that it was a not a Roe deer but a young red pricket, Jim had mentioned that he has 2 young reds move into the area affectionately named Rodney and Rupert J. He moved on his way then another 2 Roe does came out for a bit of sunshine but no bucks....After a while I moved back to the high seat and sat it out.

At around 7am I spotted another Roe Doe back in the same place I had moved to earlier. I decided to go back and see if any Bucks were present. Unfortunately it was just the Doe (again ahhhhhh). As I looked beyond it I could see 3 other deer down the hill apx 500 yards away. They were very close to where my mate Ian (Magnum) was set up so I watched from a distance. Ian then sent me a text to say there was a nice buck with 2 does in toe and asked if I wanted the Buck (very kind of him). I stalked closer to get a better look and at 250 yards I could see it had a nice head on it. We watched them for a while and I decided that I was going to let him go. Ian was unsure but I knew as I walked away he would take it.....I walked back and 60 seconds later I heard the shot .

Shortly after that Jim arrived to collect me and said he had noticed a Munty over to my right as he drove over to me. We decided to go and see if it was still around. Stalking past the edge of a field glassing every 2nd step we got to an open field. We could see the Munty buck was in the far right corner at 250 yards. The wind was in my favour and at apx 200 yards I could see a large bush directly in line for cover, after that it was open field. I stalked slowly to the bush and decide to get on the bipod at 200 yards and take the shot. As I started to move towards the bush some geese got up on the nearby farm yard, the buck lifted his head then decided to slip into the long cover....Never to be seen again.....Until maybe next time ..It was a great finish to my day but obviously nicer if I had been able to take the shot.

Ian had taken the Buck with a nice clean shot and what a lovely 5 pointer it was too. (pic attached). We regrouped back at Jims house, a further 3 Muntjac (with 1 miss) and the Roe buck for the morning. Total of 6 Muntjac, 2 Roe Bucks and 2 foxes for the trip. The deer were cleaned up in Jims brand new outbuilding which has been kitted out to a very high standard including a nice refrigerated larder then we set off for breakfast.

We all had a great trip and I’m sure the lads will add some more pics to the threads and comments .

Forgot to mention final score......

North(4 stalkers) 2 x Roe, 3 x Munty 1x Fox.
    South 3 x Munty, 1 x Fox

Last edited by 204 Ruger; 04-06-2013 at 03:53.

Well done, i have stalked with jim a few times and the fen is crawling with deer!

I know who missed the munty, it's the one in the pic with the swaros and funny hat at the back fifth from the right

Cracking weekend mate, good time had by all.

Have to do it again when the cover drops back again

My lad has texted me four times today to enquire how the shooting practice is going -----------------------After the weekend, dunno what he's on about

Regards to all

​Phil

Good company, good host, fantastic ground with plenty of deer and to top it all it wasn't me who missed for a change what more can i say?
    Thanks to jim for all his hard work in hosting the biggest bunch of p*ss takers i've ever had the privelidge to be part of, arranging a cracking meal and calling me to give me the lowdown on sunday mornings stalk , thanks to Ruger for getting his lads down for the trip and i'm certainly looking forward to the southerner/northerner re-match in due course

Tikkat3

nice to meet up with a few lads off here very good weekend (phil why are they saying you are going to change your name on here to PHIL TWO SHOOT??) Well worth the 400 mile round tip (but i would say that because of the nice buck i had) a good bit of bantter with the lads that we meet up with and a big thanks to Jim for putting up with us all and i,m up for a rematch later in the year!!

Nice trip, well done guys!
    People's hobbies are more their measure's than are their jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by philip View Post
    I know who missed the munty, it's the one in the pic with the swaros and funny hat at the back fifth from the right

Cracking weekend mate, good time had by all.

Have to do it again when the cover drops back again

My lad has texted me four times today to enquire how the shooting practice is going -----------------------After the weekend, dunno what he's on about

Regards to all

​Phil
    A rare miss Phil a rare miss ....it's 2 more shots than I had anyway

Quote Originally Posted by TikkaT3 View Post
    Good company, good host, fantastic ground with plenty of deer and to top it all it wasn't me who missed for a change what more can i say?
    Thanks to jim for all his hard work in hosting the biggest bunch of p*ss takers i've ever had the privelidge to be part of, arranging a cracking meal and calling me to give me the lowdown on sunday mornings stalk , thanks to Ruger for getting his lads down for the trip and i'm certainly looking forward to the southerner/northerner re-match in due course

Tikkat3

​Defo coming back again mate....will make you stay over next time.

Great weekend great bunch of lads, enjoyed my first Grallock
    thanks for watching !!

Quote Originally Posted by ballistic hampster View Post
    Great weekend great bunch of lads, enjoyed my first Grallock
    thanks for watching !!
    ​I have part of it on video