Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 33

Thread: Section 7 query

  1. #1

    Section 7 query

    I have a recently acquired permission locally with plenty of fallow, farmer hates them with a passion and wants them all shot. Now as they are out of season, what hoops do I have to jump through to shoot under section 7, it talks about damage etc these fields are grass, bit of rape bit of cereal etc. Presumably I'd have to be able to prove to the authorities that the farmer had tried all other methods of control? And what would constitute 'damage'. Presumably it's not as straight forward as it could seem or everyone would be shooting all year round? Couple of chaps I know shoot like this all year, but I am loathe to follow suit, but farmer is insistent.

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by OKNic View Post
    I have a recently acquired permission locally with plenty of fallow, farmer hates them with a passion and wants them all shot. Now as they are out of season, what hoops do I have to jump through to shoot under section 7, it talks about damage etc these fields are grass, bit of rape bit of cereal etc. Presumably I'd have to be able to prove to the authorities that the farmer had tried all other methods of control? And what would constitute 'damage'. Presumably it's not as straight forward as it could seem or everyone would be shooting all year round? Couple of chaps I know shoot like this all year, but I am loathe to follow suit, but farmer is insistent.
    Does your farmer understand that Fallow are a roaming herding species, and that shooting 'all' is not necessarily the solution, because the Fallow deer don't understand land boundaries, the can roam over dozens of Miles. He and you need to work together with neighbouring landowners on a landscape basis if you want any change of making some impact on the population.
    Also consider what you are going to do, if on one lucky evening you manage to shoot 5 or 6 in a field. Think of carcass extraction, (think of your back!) mobile larders, mobile chillers, how to get the venison (which is now food) to a game dealer on a hot summer night...
    Just a few things to consider.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik Hamburger View Post
    Does your farmer understand that Fallow are a roaming herding species, and that shooting 'all' is not necessarily the solution, because the Fallow deer don't understand land boundaries, the can roam over dozens of Miles. He and you need to work together with neighbouring landowners on a landscape basis if you want any change of making some impact on the population.
    Also consider what you are going to do, if on one lucky evening you manage to shoot 5 or 6 in a field. Think of carcass extraction, (think of your back!) mobile larders, mobile chillers, how to get the venison (which is now food) to a game dealer on a hot summer night...
    Just a few things to consider.
    listen to what this man is saying , ive not done fallow but have reds (much bigger problem) and not much fun in the summer and THATS a fact !

    Discretion assured
    - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857

    please visit our web site:
    http://uksha1 or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest.

  4. #4
    I think the 'section 7' that you are referring to is the so called 'farmers defence', it is the accepted defence that you would try to use when you are prosecuted for killing deer out of season, just explain this to the farmer and get his assurance that he will pay your defence costs then crack on.

    Fallow are only out of season for three months so by the time your case comes to court you will be able to make a start on the bucks legally anyway (as long as the Police haven't seized your firearms for good measure)

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by leec6.5 View Post
    listen to what this man is saying , ive not done fallow but have reds (much bigger problem) and not much fun in the summer and THATS a fact !
    That wasn't what I asked, what's the protocol for doing it? Dragging a few carcasses across a field is the easy bit. Farmer doesn't care if it's roe fallow or muntjac and if I can't help then it's game over and another stalker gets to party.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by OKNic View Post
    That wasn't what I asked, what's the protocol for doing it? Dragging a few carcasses across a field is the easy bit. Farmer doesn't care if it's roe fallow or muntjac and if I can't help then it's game over and another stalker gets to party.
    I explained the protocol in post number 4. I wasn't joking, what you are being asked to do is illegal but, there is a recognised defence that you may be able to use. If you are happy enough to do it that's up to you. I assume that you will only be shooting bucks? I can't imagine anyone, however desperate they are to hear the sound of their rifle, shooting does now.

  7. #7
    If your a member of bASC ask there advice, out of season licenses are available, as to moving them in the summer, no different to August

  8. #8
    Contact Basc for advice but you cannot shoot females may June or July no mater what the reason unless humane dispatch

  9. #9
    The law does not differentiate between males and females.

    You should read the Deer Act and fully understand it, then make your mind up as to whether or not what you have been asked to do qualifies.

    As has been said, S7 provides you with a defense when you appear in court. If you are confident that your actions were justifiable and that your defense will hold up and that you can afford a solicitor experienced in such matters then crack on.

    I occasionally do so to save my mowing grass but if I was an amateur stalker I'd think twice about shooting out of season for a farmer who just wants rid of the lot.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by OKNic View Post
    That wasn't what I asked, what's the protocol for doing it? Dragging a few carcasses across a field is the easy bit. Farmer doesn't care if it's roe fallow or muntjac and if I can't help then it's game over and another stalker gets to party.
    The protocol is as the other two stalkers are doing, if the deer are or have been causing crop damage then aim and fire.
    Any farmer has a right to defend his property against damage from wild animals, this stands to reason to enable the farmer to farm.

    http://www.thedeerinitiative.co.uk/u.../guides/91.pdf
    The section below the section seven description details Close Season Licences, these are only required on unenclosed land typically owned or managed by Natural England, ie not farmland, this is not particularly clear.
    Equally if you google deer act section 7 and go to Natural England web site, the clarification is again absent.

    If you read the actual piece of legislation there is no requirement for a licence in section 7.
    http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/...lating-to-deer
    Last edited by jack; 03-06-2013 at 22:21.

Similar Threads

  1. Fac query
    By thomas in forum Legal Issues
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 24-01-2013, 07:42
  2. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 17-06-2012, 08:31
  3. Chargemaster Query
    By bk in forum Ammunition, Reloading & Ballistics
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-06-2012, 19:19
  4. Tika Query
    By JRoe in forum Rifles & Calibres
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 27-04-2011, 17:52
  5. Howa query for anyone who has one...
    By Pippa in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 18-05-2010, 18:22

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •