Thread: Cast Roe

Cast Roe

Was out for a look yesterday evening and spotted a roe buck he was at some distance away but thought he looked a bit odd in the antler dept anyway the closer l got l realised he had what looked like one antler of 3 points to the left hand side of his head, after dispatch l went over to him and he had lost his one rermaining antler it was laying beside him the other antler had cast a day or two ago as the pedicle had healed over as you would expect to see in november time with roe, he looked perfectly normal and healthy everything checked out during the gralloch all l can think of is a low level of testosterone would maybe cause this l would put the animal at 2/3 years old, whats your thoughts guys?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	001.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	256.4 KB 
ID:	29026
    Last edited by monynut; 04-06-2013 at 22:34.

Was the antler well polished, as if it hadn't yet cast from last year and was just casting now or was it fresh grown this year, then cast, pearling would still be rough and antler wouldn't have much colour, can only guess some sort of hormonal imbalance, but look forward to hear what the more educated have to say on this

Any photos?

​Moose

Quote Originally Posted by moose View Post
    Was the antler well polished, as if it hadn't yet cast from last year and was just casting now or was it fresh grown this year, then cast, pearling would still be rough and antler wouldn't have much colour, can only guess some sort of hormonal imbalance, but look forward to hear what the more educated have to say on this
    From what l could see the antler was this years it still has a small amount of velvet on it, the colour was what l would expect to see on a new antler from the area and the pearling was undamaged and rough.

Thanks for putting the pic up, certainly looks like its this years antlers, very unusual, hopefully somebody can come up with an explanation.

Moose

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Quote Originally Posted by moose View Post
    Thanks for putting the pic up, certainly looks like its this years antlers, very unusual, hopefully somebody can come up with an explanation.

Moose
    Was everything else okay with the buck? Rembering that antler production and casting is to do with testosterone, I would be thinking of some type of hormone imbalance.

​willie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Quote Originally Posted by willie_gunn View Post
    Was everything else okay with the buck? Rembering that antler production and casting is to do with testosterone, I would be thinking of some type of hormone imbalance.

​willie_gunn
    Everything checked out ok with the gralloch, no obviouse signs of ill health. hormone inbalance was my first thought

Quote Originally Posted by monynut View Post
    Everything checked out ok with the gralloch, no obviouse signs of ill health. hormone inbalance was my first thought
    Just a suggestion, but I have once seen a situation where someone took a head shot, missed the head but smacked one of the antlers. It broke off at the pedicle, and damaged the other in a way that made it very loose.

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mungo View Post
    Just a suggestion, but I have once seen a situation where someone took a head shot, missed the head but smacked one of the antlers. It broke off at the pedicle, and damaged the other in a way that made it very loose.
    In this case, though, one of the antlers has already cast and the pedicle is healing over, otherwise that sounds a good possibility.

Hope the situation you describe didn't involve a trophy head

willie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Quote Originally Posted by willie_gunn View Post

Hope the situation you describe didn't involve a trophy head
    Fortunately not, and there was a more experienced stalker on hand to take a follow up shot to bring it down. I saw the head when they brought the carcasse home - if I hadn't been told what had happened, I'd never have been able to guess what did it. I wonder if this happens more often that people would care to admit?

I know of a situation where I client of a mate of mine had shot and wounded a beast while up a high seat himself, when my mate arrived they had a look for the beast but it seemed to have made in into a quite thick plantation and seemed still quite alive so my mate told the client to back into the high seat and he would try and push the beast out, the plan worked and the buck appeared but coming up a drainage ditch with a lot of tall vegetation, he got a glimpse and shot hoping just to get another hit, and luckily the beast went down, but when they got to it he had shot one of the antlers off, and going by the other intact side would have been a good silver medal!!!!

​Moose