Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Any ideas what is doing this damage?

Any ideas what is doing this damage?

Any ideas what might be doing this? Until about 9 months ago I'd never seen it and then all of a sudden almost every dead standing tree seems to have been attacked. It tends to happen mostly from about knee to shoulder height but I've also seen it much further up the trees and so suspect it is a bird that is doing it. We also have red squirrels but they have been around for years and I haven't seen this until recently, unless it is a new hobby with them. It looks to me like what ever is doing it is trying to get at insects in the dead wood. I've no experience with woodpeckers and the photo was taken in Ireland where woodpeckers are extremely rare, in fact it is only recently a friend was telling me that there are woodpeckers in Ireland as I've never seen one and wasn't at all sure there were any here.

For self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis please visit:
    http://www.7south.co.uk/

Beaver, on stilts?
    Never seen anything like it, is it just the odd tree or quite a few?
    unless you can prove it beyond all reasonable doubt, it wasn't me. If you can prove it then you must be mistaken

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Any grey squirrels in your area? Looks to my (albeit inexperienced) eyes like bark stripping, more prevalent in greys than reds, but reds can also do it. Apparently happens where squirrel density is too high. Would be the right time of year.

willie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Picking out the deadwood looking for grubs is usually a wood pecker. Jays can sometimes join in too

I would say woodpecker, i have a stump at the bottom of the garden in the same shape, digging for grubs, atb wayne

http://www.facebook.com/pages/UKSHA/502164506587351
    uksha
    Discretion assured - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857
    please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

Quote Originally Posted by caorach View Post
    Any ideas what might be doing this? Until about 9 months ago I'd never seen it and then all of a sudden almost every dead standing tree seems to have been attacked. It tends to happen mostly from about knee to shoulder height but I've also seen it much further up the trees and so suspect it is a bird that is doing it. We also have red squirrels but they have been around for years and I haven't seen this until recently, unless it is a new hobby with them. It looks to me like what ever is doing it is trying to get at insects in the dead wood. I've no experience with woodpeckers and the photo was taken in Ireland where woodpeckers are extremely rare, in fact it is only recently a friend was telling me that there are woodpeckers in Ireland as I've never seen one and wasn't at all sure there were any here.

Interestingly there is vey little debris around the base of the tree and there appears to be a number of others with similar damage nearby! Bark beetle?

Woodpecker.

I'd almost say black woodpecker, but that seems extrenely unlikely.