Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Knife for rabbit paunching?

Knife for rabbit paunching?

Gents,

I have been shooting a lot (to me) of rabbits lately, 40 plus a night. I am currently using a folding knife, its sharp as you like but invariably I knick the odd gut as it has a very sharp point. I have not quite yet mastered the 'putting the finger over the point' technique yet. Also, being a folder its a bugger to clean. I do all the rabbits at the end of the night (can't leave the guts in the field).

Any recommendations for a fixed blade knife that will do this better? Are gut-hooks any good, if so can anyone recommend me one?

Regards,

Birdy

Small, thin, have a look for a bird / trout knife, a site called blade forums has some nice ones.

Try a Buck Capping if you can find one as Buck seem to have discontinued.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not using it in a fruit salad.

Amateurs practice until they get it right. Professionals practice until they never get it wrong.

The blade should be curved inwardssame as gut blade. The handle is held with three fingers. Grip the blade Thoth thumb and forefinger about a quarter of an inch from the end. Quick draw down ang guts fall out. My father could shuck a hundred in minutes. Never seen him cut the bag. He was pro rabbit catcher before mixxie.

You might like to try a Jack Pyke 3 inch skinning knife. I have one that is permenently fixed to my rifle sling. It sharpened up to "Razor sharp" and holds it's edge very well. Not too pricey either for a reasonably good quality blade!

The problem with a purpose made gutting knife as in one of "tripe" configuration is you realy need a second for all those other tasks.

Here are two small fixed blades that work fine for me and at each end of price range. The cheaper option could easily have its tip rouded off if you really can't get on with a pointy one.

8:

180:

Cheers

K

after trialling all sorts of purpose made gutting knives I finally went with a stanley knife blade!

I gut mine at a purpose made table in the shed
    hold the blade between thumb and middle finger with the index finger on the top edge over the point.
    control the initial puncture depth then with the point in the pad of your index finger you just unzip.

its a sub 1 sec operation once you practice

and when they get blunt you just chuck em away!

Made this little fella for a mate two or three years ago. He's done Thousands of bunnies and a few bambis with no complaint so far. A point need not be a problem.

Owning a gun or knife and not using it, is akin to not sleeping with your girlfriend to keep her neat and tidy for the next bloke.

Thanks guys, looks like my technique is needing some improvement - I'll work on that and try the 2 ways described.

Do you cut the fur up first to leave the skin, or can it all be done in a 'oner' with these techniques? 95% of the time I don't cut the gut, but when I do it takes 10 times as long to clean the mess than it does to paunch the rest!

In the mean time I will get myself a fixed blade knife to solve the cleaning issue. I really like the custom knives, they are blinders both of them, unfortunately with a house, wedding and a first CF rifle (not in that order!) on the cards in the near future they are out of my budget.

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    after trialling all sorts of purpose made gutting knives I finally went with a stanley knife blade! I gut mine at a purpose made table in the shed hold the blade between thumb and middle finger with the index finger on the top edge over the point. control the initial puncture depth then with the point in the pad of your index finger you just unzip. its a sub 1 sec operation once you practice and when they get blunt you just chuck em away!
    ​+1