Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Feeling Sick

Feeling Sick

7.20 am coming down a small track on my way back from a customers and had a fallow doe run across in front of me, bottom jaw a mass of red, tounge lolling No gun on me so hared round to the keepers cottage about 500 meters away, he was about grabbed him and a rifle and went straight back, less than 10 minutes , we turned the wood inside out and we couldnt find her again.

Still feeling sick I couldnt do anything for her, any other day of the week Id have more than likely had a shotgun or rifle with me and could have sorted her out straight away.

well you know what you'll be spending tonight and tomorrow morning doing!

bear in mind she won't be out feeding, and may be laying up somewhere. A good dog might not be a bad idea either.

good luck, and sorry to hear of the experience....tells yet another story of why not headshoot...at least when body shots go bad they imobilise the beast quicker and frequently (but not always) leave a trail.
    “One does not hunt in order to kill; one kills in order to have hunted.” - Jose Ortega y Gasset

Quote Originally Posted by pietasvenatores View Post
    well you know what you'll be spending tonight and tomorrow morning doing!

bear in mind she won't be out feeding, and may be laying up somewhere. A good dog might not be a bad idea either.

good luck, and sorry to hear of the experience....tells yet another story of why not headshoot...at least when body shots go bad they imobilise the beast quicker and frequently (but not always) leave a trail.
    Totally agree with the above.....

And I feel for you - its a horrible feeling to not be able to do anything about it, at least you can go look for her though.

Best of luck.

Regards,

Gixer

Quote Originally Posted by Dakaras View Post
    7.20 am coming down a small track on my way back from a customers and had a fallow doe run across in front of me, bottom jaw a mass of red, tounge lolling No gun on me so hared round to the keepers cottage about 500 meters away, he was about grabbed him and a rifle and went straight back, less than 10 minutes , we turned the wood inside out and we couldnt find her again. Still feeling sick I couldnt do anything for her, any other day of the week Id have more than likely had a shotgun or rifle with me and could have sorted her out straight away.
    Also sounds like you've got poachers about, or unscrupulous stalkers next door if they're taking head shots at out of season deer.

Hope you get her sorted mate, good luck and keep us posted. :-(
    Owning a gun or knife and not using it, is akin to not sleeping with your girlfriend to keep her neat and tidy for the next bloke.

How do any of you know it was shot and not hit by a car.

Quote Originally Posted by Taff View Post
    How do any of you know it was shot and not hit by a car.
    How do you know it wasn't shot? I don't think by the description that even the OP knows.
    Owning a gun or knife and not using it, is akin to not sleeping with your girlfriend to keep her neat and tidy for the next bloke.

Quote Originally Posted by digger9523 View Post
    Also sounds like you've got poachers about, or unscrupulous stalkers next door if they're taking head shots at out of season deer.

Hope you get her sorted mate, good luck and keep us posted. :-(
    Sounds awful, I hope that she is found soon and dealt with humanely. Could it be a farmer protecting his crops, they are allowed to do this out of season aren't they? atb Tim

See if any of the guys who have a deer dog near you can help out.

Better to try and get lucky rather than leave her to die a long lingering death

Good luck

Phil

your going to need a good dog,
    heat like this will drive her deep in to cover for cool shade. you may just get sight of later on this evening if she is still on her feet.
    how ever she got hurt rifle, car or barn door !!, she needs to be delt with asap for her sake. its awful to them run on with such injuries ,but they do have such a will to live ...
    atb /good luck
    jason

Hope you find her soon so you can do the right thing
    Best of luck Wingy