Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 30-06 or .308 for me? Cost being a factor

30-06 or .308 for me? Cost being a factor

Sorry to throw up another calibre thread but just after a quick bit of advice please.

I have the opportunity after speaking with the licensing manager to put in for a one for one variation for a larger caliber rifle, for the future hunting of the larger deer species. I can't see me shooting boar and Africa is a very distant dream!! I currently have 30-06 plus mod on ticket but am allowed to change if I wish.

I recently got a Brno ZKK 601 in .243 with a set trigger and 1st impressions are pretty good. I have spotted the same type of rifle for sale for reasonable money in .308 in mint condition and is already screwcut. Just wondering if this would be a good rifle for me?

From what I can gather there's slightly less recoil with .308, the rifles seem to be cheaper all round (which is a big factor) and without looking I guess ammo and reloading would be the same?

Also I already have a 30 cal T8 mod which I believe can be used on both the .243 and .308, thus saving some sheckles rather than having two mods for now?

Any thoughts please as my cert is in now and I need to confirm the calibre asap?

Cheers

Stratts
    Follow my stalking journey & SD sponsored DSC1 progress blog here

DSC1 forum sponsorship - Blogs - The Stalking Directory

.308, good. 30-06, great.

30-06 will do everything the .308 will do, and a LOT more. I see no reason why one would pick a .308 when you could have the added flexibility of the aught six. I mean, you can throw anything from 110g to 220g bullets!

I like my '06 - but if money is a big factor - go with the 308 - It won't struggle on any of the deer species and you will save on brass, heads, powder, and 308 is one of the most commonly carried rounds in most shops.

it's also short action so if you wanted to get the same rifle and swap stocks etc you could whereas the 06 is into long action.

Regards,

Gixer

Quote Originally Posted by PKL View Post
    .308, good. 30-06, great.

30-06 will do everything the .308 will do, and a LOT more. I see no reason why one would pick a .308 when you could have the added flexibility of the aught six. I mean, you can throw anything from 110g to 220g bullets!
    so a 300wm is even greater ?
    so will a 308 ?

there is so little to choose why not just go with the more common calibre and reduce the hassle and broaden your choice of ammo?

Quote Originally Posted by tackb View Post
    so a 300wm is even greater ?
    so will a 308 ?

there is so little to choose why not just go with the more common calibre and reduce the hassle and broaden your choice of ammo?

no, the 300wm is also good, but not 'greater', yes it's the aught siz big brother, but it comes at the price of more expensive and scarce factory ammo, as well as more felt recoil and less 2nd hand firearms on the open market.

going with the most common calibre is a good choice, being 30-06 of course :-)

Thanks guys, I expected a mixed response unfortunately, lol!!

I didn't think there was much in it just the fact that I can get this rifle sent to me for less than 300 quid and all good screwcut aught 6's seem to be nearer 500+, which I don't have!!

no, the 300wm is also good, but not 'greater', yes it's the aught siz big brother, but it comes at the price of more expensive and scarce factory ammo, as well as more felt recoil and less 2nd hand firearms on the open market.

if you're in the US of A maybe.....I would say 308 would be the more common one in the uk...

Guntrader shows -

30-06 = 37
    308 = 237!!

oh yeah cos i'm always tripping over 30/06 rifles and ammo the're that common in the uk ?
    ask any deer which they prefer to be shot by and they say 308 all day long their owners practice more because the ammo is more readily available and in a wider selection of types here in the uk?

Quote Originally Posted by tackb View Post
    oh yeah cos i'm always tripping over 30/06 rifles and ammo the're that common in the uk ?
    ask any deer which they prefer to be shot by and they say 308 all day long their owners practice more because the ammo is more readily available and in a wider selection of types here in the uk?
    Talking of ammo is it ok to buy mil surplus ammo to practice with? I found a place fairly local to me that sells it proper cheap but I wasn't sure I could buy it if it wasn't for hunting with?

Quote Originally Posted by gixer1 View Post
    i
    Guntrader shows -

30-06 = 37
    308 = 237!!
    shows everyone wants to get rid of them and people are keeping their aught six's ;-)