Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tricky scope spec- can you help me?

Tricky scope spec- can you help me?

I have a list of specs for a scope but am struggling to work out which is the right one to go for. I am after
    1. Top end mag over 10x
    2. reticle in FFP
    3. Quality glass
    4. Illuminated ret
    5.External turret adj inc windage
    6. a 42mm obj.
    7. 3.75-4'' eye relief
    The closest I get is a S&B 3-12x42 but I am having trouble getting anyone to quote for the scope. Anyone any other ideas? Thanks

I have the 3-12x42 S&B and would highly recommend it - the only thing it doesn't have on your wish list is illumination and external turrets, but I have never needed them. I have a Z6i with ballistic turrets and illumination - only ever used the BT at the range and never used the illumination. In the field I always use hold-over as it is generally quicker than fidling with turrets, and time spent at the range has taught me how the rifle behaves in different conditions. I don't know of another scope with first focal plane reticle. I've always felt the S&B feels more rugged than the Swarovski too, Z6i just 'feels' delicate.
    Try and find one second hand?
    Last edited by Virbius; 04-06-2013 at 22:17. Reason: typos

Thanks for the replies. I don't think the Swarovski comes in FFP? The PM2 is heavier and 34mm? main tube which makes it less attractive than the 3-12. Also it is difficult getting anyone t0 quote for a non stock Sand B.

Vortex viper pst 6-24 check out the specs, nice scopes

Thanks. It is available with illum and can be ordered with external adj. I agree that holdover is most simple when stalking hence the need for FFP ret, but I like the option of external adj for longer range foxing. The scope is for a .25-06.

What about a nightforce 3.5x15x50. Front obj lens is a little bigger then you wanted.
    But they great range of ir rets and target turrets

Nightforce is a possibility but I had a different spec before and didn't like the fact that the whole eye piece turned when changing mag.

Quote Originally Posted by BWH View Post
    Thanks. It is available with illum and can be ordered with external adj. I agree that holdover is most simple when stalking hence the need for FFP ret, but I like the option of external adj for longer range foxing. The scope is for a .25-06.
    That would be a lovely scope, I think you've found your answer - just have to wait a bit for it to be delivered?