Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone shoot with open sights?

Anyone shoot with open sights?

I am thinking of converting my .243 to shoot it with open sights. It wont be my main line stalking rifle but thought with a load of practice would be good fun to take out and try and get a few deer with.

I know it will have its downfalls in comparison to using quality optics but as i say it will be used for range work and some stalking.

​Cheers, Tom

This had been my plan for the 375, and in its defence it did take a munty with open sights, but for typical stalking use ie dusk and dawn, light was the biggest issue I found, in low light I just couldn't see the front sight, I know there are after market options available, but I very quickly opted for the scoped option, so much more usable really, that said, it was great fun to play with on iron sights, no question.
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink

Yes, i did think that the low light would be its down fall in comparison to my other scoped rifle. I was just thinking it would offer another dimension to the odd stalk. Most of my shots are bellow 60m.

Give it a go then......it's quite liberating, and much lighter if you dispense with the mod as well I just couldn't get on with it personally, lovely as it felt and looked, just lost a bit of practicality.
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink

I have a Parker hale 1200 in .308 that I use 'as is' with open sights, no mod. Not very often admittedly, but it is nice sometimes

regards
    ​Pete

Quote Originally Posted by deerstalker.308 View Post
    This had been my plan for the 375, and in its defence it did take a munty with open sights, but for typical stalking use ie dusk and dawn, light was the biggest issue I found, in low light I just couldn't see the front sight, I know there are after market options available, but I very quickly opted for the scoped option, so much more usable really, that said, it was great fun to play with on iron sights, no question.
    I found exactly the same with my old .275, I also shot a handfull of deer with the open sights and several rabbits.

When I got my first deer rifle in the late '80's, I broke the bank paying for the rifle and had nothing left for scope and mounts so I used it (Brno 601, .243) with open sights for several months whilst I saved up. I carried it in my tractor all of one summer and shot lots of hares that had been scorched by stubble burning, some at quite a distance (although, looking back, maybe they weren't as far as I thought!)

hi
    great to hear someone looking to use iron sights!
    if you are interested my stalking and african rifle (custom Win Mod 70, 338 win mag ) has xs sights which is a tritium front dot and a tritium vertical stripe on a shallow traditional V .... nice for when I get out the tent in Botswana when the dogs are barking at something at the cattle kraal, my 458 has a recknagel folding moon front sight and three leaf rear and my Zoli 9.3 x 74 / 12 bore has also had both front and rear sights removed to a white small dot and shallow rear V with a yellow inverted v at the apex. Trick is to have somewhere to practice .... also to practice shooting offhand which took me a while to master ... looks easy but it is an art!
    Alan Rhone is the man to provide quality iron sights if you are interested, which he gets from Germany.
    Definitely do it - it is good fun and a test of a different skill .... no good if you have a fixation with sound mods and bipods, which make freehand shooting almost (in my opinion) impossible.
    regards
    Tony

Classically the answer to poor light was a fold up warthog ivory front pillar (warthog ivory doesn't go yellow like elephant ivory) and a platinum vetical bar inlaid below the vee of the back sight. However I suspect it will cost more as a setup than a decent 'scope as not many people can do the work.

David.

Great question ! Not used open sights for years, in fact not since first air pistol and air rifles. Definitely a much purer form of shooting that allowed you to work on your field craft as you needed to get so much closer. Look forward to reading the responses to this question.

Shot a magpie last week with my open sighted pellet gun - not as easy as 30 years ago when I last shot one with open sights!