Thread: .30-06 load Barns TSX ? Hornaday interlock ?

.30-06 load Barns TSX ? Hornaday interlock ?

Hi, I'm just working out a few new loads for my brand new secondhand .30-06. Does anyone have any experience of using the Barnes 130gr TSX bullets or the Hornaday interlocks in 150gr in this chambering ?
    I've got 2 really accurate loads inked into the loading log book for the 150gr interlocks using H4350 but I'm thinking of getting some Barns TSX bullets to try out as I've read that they are very economical on meat loss.
    I fear that the 2 loads (2860 fps and 3050fps) in the 150 gr interlocks will loose me too much valuable Venison as I observed them to be rather frangable when I used to use them in my old 6.5x55 at 2750fps, having said that they did do a good job though and they never made a big mess of anything. I've only bought some in .30 cal for my .30-06 because they were all my shop had and they were relatively cheap.
    I suppose I'm interested in the 130gr Barns TSX because they sound like they could be an interesting one to test out and I can't be bothered dealing with wasted meat .

Kind regards, Olaf

you wont go wrong with Interlocks IMO
    cracking round for the money

I've been shooting the interlocks out of my 308 which gives me a measured 3000fps so pretty close to what you are seeing from the 30-06.

I did have one instance of bad meat damage on a small sika calf at about 60 yards. However, in general I thought they worked well and the meat damage was almost always reasonable in my view. They also killed and exited on all deer I shot with them with ranges from probably about 20 to 220 yards. They were also very accurate, and easy to get an accurate load with.

I've since moved to Nosler Partitons which I've found to occasionally put chest shot sika straight down and the interlocks never did that but my experience so far is that the Partitons aren't so accurate and going back to the interlocks would be no big deal for me.

Given this I'd try the interlocks on a few deer and see what you think, they might not give the level of meat damage you require but the only way to really know is to shoot them at a few deer.
    For self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis please visit:
    http://www.7south.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by caorach View Post
    I've been shooting the interlocks out of my 308 which gives me a measured 3000fps so pretty close to what you are seeing from the 30-06.

I did have one instance of bad meat damage on a small sika calf at about 60 yards. However, in general I thought they worked well and the meat damage was almost always reasonable in my view. They also killed and exited on all deer I shot with them with ranges from probably about 20 to 220 yards. They were also very accurate, and easy to get an accurate load with.

I've since moved to Nosler Partitons which I've found to occasionally put chest shot sika straight down and the interlocks never did that but my experience so far is that the Partitons aren't so accurate and going back to the interlocks would be no big deal for me.

Given this I'd try the interlocks on a few deer and see what you think, they might not give the level of meat damage you require but the only way to really know is to shoot them at a few deer.
    Superb ! Thanks for taking the time to reply, its a great help. I will take some out with me tomorrow and see what they do. I'm running a bit low on Venison so I might as well get the freezer loaded up again.

Kind regards, Olaf