Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tikka T3 SuperVarmint....Running in

Tikka T3 SuperVarmint....Running in

Having just acquired a T3 in 6.5x55 I am looking to develop her into a tac driver so I want to run the barrel in correctly.

What regime will be good to get her full potential going please.

I will be home loading soon for both quarry and target so possible ammo suggestions and weights would be handy.

I prefer ballistic tips as a rule but soft points will also be on the menu. Target rounds are an unknown to me but as I also shoot at Bisley I want to make use of tje 6.5's ballistic efficiency and shoot long range.

Thanks in advance for any help and suggestions.

DD

Take it out of the box, clean it to get rid of grease and general gunk from factory and storage.
    Shoot it. Have a look at your target. Shoot it some more. Repeat steps 1-3.

I personally don't believe in the "running in" theory. I've tried it on some guns, not on others and it doesn't seem to have made a jot of difference.
    In reality, the barrel will perform or not. No regime of shoot one, clean one is going to alter the fundamental nature of that barrel despite what the folks that sell barrels and cleaning products say.

In some instances, the break in process appears to be a condition associated to the warranty i.e. if you didn't follow steps 1-250 fastidiously then you didn't follow recommendations and the warranty won't apply. Bit of a cop out really.

I bothered to "clean-shoot-clean" my T3 (22-250) and after about 5 cycles got bored and tried bursts of 5 and then cleaned. Did that a couple of times: very boring groups sub-1" all the time at 100 yards unless I used factory SAKO.
    I'd do the clean thing as long as you have a decent rod and bore guide it's unlikely to hurt: bodge it up and you might as well not bother.
    I generally clean the copper out for the first five single rounds and most people I know would as well. Make sure you apply something afterwards such as a wipe out with #9 and and a dry patch sequence before firing the next round. Seems to keep the rubbish down.

A lot depends on the barrel: my Remington, Tikka and Parker-Hale (M85) barrels were very friendly. My Kriegers have not been so easy...

I have never really bothered with the "run in" thing...what I do now is use a pull through on my rifles after evry outing and give them a wipe over with light oil and then after every 100 rounds I soak the pull through with hoppes No9 pull through, leave it for 10 mins and then squeeze druy the pull through and run it through a couple of times with a light spray of oil. all my rifles seem to group fine.

Regards,

Gixer

I've used the following regime on my rifles bought from new.

Shoot one then clean it, X 5

Shoot three then clean it, X 5

The above uses up a twenty round box of bullets, which in the case of Privis for a Swede was about 12 when I did it. I was shown the routine by a very well respected riflesmith who doesn't make his money selling ammunition or cleaning products.

Some say it makes no difference. They may be right. However, I figure that it doesn't do any harm and is a useful way of familiarising yourself with the rifle and building confidence with it.

Cheers,

Bob

Thank you for your replies.......I will ponder

On the old Border Barrels site they recommended 1 shot then fill with Forest Bore foam and leave overnight then clean, repeat next day with 2 shots, repeat next day with 3 shots...and so on for a week, from what I remember. I think they recommended pushing the patch from the muzzle end, so as to get out the copper than had built up on the breach side of any burrs. I think someone on here said not to use a bore snake, especially from the muzzle end.

Quote Originally Posted by deerly departed View Post
    Having just acquired a T3 in 6.5x55 I am looking to develop her into a tac driver so I want to run the barrel in correctly.

What regime will be good to get her full potential going please.

I will be home loading soon for both quarry and target so possible ammo suggestions and weights would be handy.

I prefer ballistic tips as a rule but soft points will also be on the menu. Target rounds are an unknown to me but as I also shoot at Bisley I want to make use of tje 6.5's ballistic efficiency and shoot long range.

Thanks in advance for any help and suggestions.

DD
    take it to the range and shoot. Shoot some more. Shoot some more. Check target. Smile. Go home and clean. Job done! Ps. A rifle is not a "her". It is a thing.

Just go to the range and sight it in with your primary load, deer or varmint. Then shoot some 5 shot groups.

Change ammo to deer or varmint and see where that shoots vis a vis your primary ammunition. Hopefully it is just vertically different, but make a note of hold over, and how many clicks of windage you might need to change back and forth. Shoot a group of 5 of those. If you like, shoot a whole box.

Shoot some commercial rounds which are readily available, too, because you never know when you will be out and run out of your favorites, or forget and leave them back home in the safe, forcing you to borrow some rounds or run to store. You don't want to be sighting in or lack confidence in where these will shoot.

My experience is that the T3 doesn't need any special "fire lapping" or breaking in. Both my T3s shot a variety of vanilla commercial loads into small groups, right out of the box. Given the century-plus experience with the 6.5x55, my guess is that Tikka and Sako have that dialed in.

Nice rifle, I have one myself in the same cal

Having done many a break in regime on rifles and having read as many schools of thought on what you should or shouldn't do when breaking in a new rifle and also the need for breaking in a custom barrel or a factory one, I don't know if I am any wiser or more accurate regardless.

But........ A friend recently asked the same question as you in regards to his new Tikka and he wrote to GMK in the UK and got the following advice.

' please note in addition to the initial cleaning before first use we recommend that you “ shoot the barrel in”.

So once you have carried out the initial maintenance before use we suggest that you fire a single round and then clean the barrel thoroughly and then fire another round, repeat this for approximately ten rounds or so.'

Cant go too far wrong with that.