Thread: Law in Scotland?

Law in Scotland?

Would I be right in thinking land in Scotland is not check for it suitability for calibre by the chief officer of Police?

It is in some areas - Grampian do as I had permission on some land that was only cleared for up to .243

The Firearms Acts are exactly the same everywhere except NI where they have a different system.

The Acts don't say that land should be checked - but they don't say it can't be. The justification for checking would be police trying to ensure public safety as part of their general powers rather than under firearms law.

The Home Office guidelines do refer to checking land for suitability where there is doubt - that is in relation to the grant of a new certificate and is part of the 'good reason to possess' checks. Where any force does land checks and 'clears' land for certain calibres, that is 'policy', not law, and the courts would not enforce it if you appealled. In fact there is clear case law that police are not entitled to have such policies.

Ian C

They are doing computer checks now on number of shooting permissions given. Ie farmer Jo give out ten permissions to shoot deer on his ground. He will be checked out. It is to stop convenience permissions to keep your rifle. Could snooker a few door chappers. Farmer Jo will have to justify giving you permission. Does he know you?

A local Chief of Police may also not clear a piece of land in the event that when the land is sold it may be bought by someone who may have a closed FAC but who is not experienced enough to use their firearm responsibly and safely on that particular piece of land.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo123p View Post
    They are doing computer checks now on number of shooting permissions given. Ie farmer Jo give out ten permissions to shoot deer on his ground. He will be checked out. It is to stop convenience permissions to keep your rifle. Could snooker a few door chappers. Farmer Jo will have to justify giving you permission. Does he know you?
    Hi Jimbo,
    I have recently retired and prior to doing so I was working closely with FEOs. What you describe is not a new thing as there were a number of landowners giving permission to literally dozens of applicants.
    If the type and area of land supported the numbers there was not any issue but there was no doubt a very small number were at it.