Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Targets for zeroing / practice

Targets for zeroing / practice

Alright guys, looking for some tips on what to use to stick some targets onto for zeroing and practice.
    Have used things in the past but they tend to get knocked down / blown up if solid when hit with a 243 .

I have some 6"x6" paper targets and just thinking of things I can use to hold them up for a few repeated shots, cheers for any help.

Bloke in the gun shop suggested a steel plate but I was wondering if this would perhaps cause a bullet to deflect ?

EDIT TO ADD

For anyone interested the material used on Estate Agent Signs is called Cortex / Corex , corrugated plastic board.
    Not wanting to pinch one off an estate agents sign I had a look online where I could get some, as advised I popped into a local sign making shop down the industrial estate.

The bloke had an off - cut board about 8ft long and 1ft wide left over, he cut it into 4 x 2ft by 1ft boards for me and didn't even want anything for them What a result. I duck taped 2 sticks of bamboo cane out of the veg garden down either side and sharpened the end and it stands up well in the ground Just need to test it out now

Any suggestions on the best way to stick target faces to it that are easily swapped round ?

Cheers - Lloyd
    Last edited by Lloyd90; 10-06-2013 at 15:25.

I use light plywood (from an old pheasant pen) and tack a lightweight post to one side of it so I can stick it in the ground with a suitable back stop behind it. I use Blue tack to hold the targets on to the plywood. Regards JCS

Download paper targets from targetz.com they have a choice of hundreds. They print out A4 size. Get a piece of thin ply a bit larger than A4, stick target to it with bluetac and support the ply any way you like. Use a safe backstop, NOT A STEEL PLATE.

Looks like JCS got there two minutes before me!!

Best thing I have found is a laminate flooring plank. Used .22, .223, .243 & .308 on it and they really do take some hammer, just neat little holes with little splinter at the back
    Wingy
    unless you can prove it beyond all reasonable doubt, it wasn't me. If you can prove it then you must be mistaken

Quote Originally Posted by Bigthug87 View Post
    Bloke in the gun shop suggested a steel plate but I was wondering if this would perhaps cause a bullet to deflect ?
    Get a new bloke for the gun shop for starters. A .243 is going to zip through mild steel plate up to 30mm at 100m, could go anywhere thereafter.
    I use a HARDOX 8x8 target, this destroys up to .308 at 100m and .22LR up to 30m (no closer due to splash back risk). You get vertical and horizontal splash out to 3m radius, but very light particles.

However, my suggestion would be it is more about the backstop than the target holder. Cue mound of soft earth several feet thick.
    You can make, quite cheaply, several hollow frame target holders out of wood to sizes of your choice. Simply staple or drawing pin the target to the frame and job done. With no frame centres, they should last a lot longer than usual. The bullet of course being captured safely in your backstop.

Good luck.
    "There comes in the dead of night a hand of cold steel that plucks the German sentries from their posts"
    WSC 1942

Nothing worse than a spot of splash back RickoShay eh.
    Screw a piece of 6mm ply to two pieces of dowling then staple/blutac one of the SD targets in the download section .
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

Quote Originally Posted by RickoShay View Post
    Get a new bloke for the gun shop for starters. A .243 is going to zip through mild steel plate up to 30mm at 100m, could go anywhere thereafter.
    I use a HARDOX 8x8 target, this destroys up to .308 at 100m and .22LR up to 30m (no closer due to splash back risk). You get vertical and horizontal splash out to 3m radius, but very light particles.

However, my suggestion would be it is more about the backstop than the target holder. Cue mound of soft earth several feet thick.
    You can make, quite cheaply, several hollow frame target holders out of wood to sizes of your choice. Simply staple or drawing pin the target to the frame and job done. With no frame centres, they should last a lot longer than usual. The bullet of course being captured safely in your backstop.

Good luck.
    That's why I asked on here instead of getting a steel plate pal , safety first always.

I have always used a safe backstop but just need something that will free stand a bit in front for the bullet to pass through a piece of paper without being knocked down or broken after a couple shots

Estate agents board material with your choice of target stuck to it, the corrugated plastic is light and you can shoot the hell out of it. And it's waterproof!

Stick it in the ground with something (I use a couple of bent welding rods either side) and make sure you have got a good backstop

Quote Originally Posted by PointBlank View Post
    Estate agents board material with your choice of target stuck to it, the corrugated plastic is light and you can shoot the hell out of it. And it's waterproof!

Stick it in the ground with something (I use a couple of bent welding rods either side) and make sure you have got a good backstop
    You been spying on me

Anyway you forgot the best bit, they are free, plenty around just about any housing estate, particularly those with plenty of flats for rent.

Neil.