Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carpal Tunnel surgery

Carpal Tunnel surgery

Anyone experienced Carpal Tunnel surgery, re effects on your trigger release etc, recovery period ?
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)
    My mother has had the carpal tunnel operation. Recovery time varies but about 3 weeks. You will need someome to help you out for a while as you won't be able to do all of the usual tasks, getting dressed, cooking etc. They will also only operate on one hand at a time.
    I went through a bad bout of it myself about a year and a half ago. I trained myself to hold my wrists in as straighter position as is possible and that has helped a lot but I still get it.
    It should be said that the operation is not guaranteed successful.
    After my success with keeping my wrists staright I'd sugest trying splints first
    “Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”........Dalai Lama

Yes thanks, both hands, the right one twice.
    As for not being able to use the hand afterwards, it varies, 30 minutes after surgery I could use mine to hold a mug of tea and eat a sandwich.
    4 days later I was using a chainsaw, with care, the hand will function fine, but the wound site will be very sensitive to pressure, this is the main problem.
    I had my right done first, then the left a year later, both on a local anaesthetic, the right was done for the second time about 18 months after the first time, and was done on a general anaesthetic. At no point was either hand completely unusable, I live alone and had no problems, even the dread wiping your back side was a non issue.
    The wound remians sensitive for a few months, but as far as shooting goes the rifle was ok after 10 days, a bit longer for the shotgun.

Neil.

Well back home all stitched up,... time under the bright lights was one minute under the record @ 8 minutes!,..practice with the other hand was wasted!..., might struggle a bit with the bolt tonight though!,......... was very well treated & wondered where all the moaning minnies get the material from.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

My dad had his done under local by a consultant orthopod and was very successful.

D

Been thinking about it as I suffer or should I say did suffer greatly after a few miles riding my bike.
    ​Might think harder after reading this

Quote Originally Posted by perdix View Post
    Been thinking about it as I suffer or should I say did suffer greatly after a few miles riding my bike.
    ​Might think harder after reading this
    Transalp going for trade in tomorrow, been looking at a 12 plate 1200gs BM.

I like the old Transalps.

​I build my own chops and streetfighters now I'm too old to ride back-breaking sports bikes

wondered where all the moaning minnies get the material from.
    Had my left hand done about eighteen months ago first of two ops. The only thing it did for me was make my better hand into my worst and swap my mild discomfort with pins and needles for constant pain. Now got a hand that's very near useless in every aspect wish I'd never been near the surgeon as for the other hand I'll manage with the down side of carpal tunnel certainly aren't risking another disaster.
    Better to have failed again than to have lifted someones leg

I've had both wrists done. I had a poor recovery period after my left was done but that was (I think) partly down to my doing too much too soon and partly due to a slight "blip" in surgery. Consequently, I waited 7 years to have my right wrist done but I stayed away from work for 6 weeks and the recovery was much better. I can now drive my bike (and car) without my throttle/brake hand becoming dead after only a few miles, a major advantage when driving a bike weighing 900lbs!
    Good luck with your recovery
    Last edited by downwind; 07-06-2013 at 17:05.