View Poll Results: Should we be allowed to shoot Male deer during the Rut?

Voters
85. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes!

54 63.53%
  • No!

24 28.24%
  • I know I probably shouldn't, but Yes!

7 8.24%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Should we be able to cull Male deer during the Rut??

Should we be able to cull Male deer during the Rut??

Ok, it’s Friday and I’m feeling a little controversial!
    It saddens me slightly to see the ‘Can’t wait for the Rut’ posts which appear about this time every year! I don’t remember ever seeing a ‘can’t wait for the Doe season’ thread?

So here’s my question….
    Should we be allowed to cull deer during the Rut?
    It is the only time really during the entire year that shooting male deer could actually create deer welfare issues!
    I fully appreciate that some areas need every opportunity they can get to achieve cull figures, but there are also a few negative points which shooting during the rut can create:

• Prime animals which nature would have intended to survive end up being culled as they lose their normal senses during this time and expose themselves to danger. This can result in ‘less able’ stalkers culling decent animals which they would not normally have the skills to connect with.
    • Using mating calls to effectively ‘honey-trap’ male deer may be viewed as being unethical by our critics?
    • Opportunist stalkers in smaller areas where there is no general area cull plan can end up shooting the best animals which other neighbouring areas with more morals would have actually left!
    • Prime animals are culled before they have had chance to pass on their genes therefore lowering the genetic quality of the stock.
    • Shooting prime animals in hard antler gives deer management the unfortunate title of ‘trophy hunting’!
    • Venison gained from rutting male deer is not good to eat!

If anything, it would be better to open up the season on male deer for the entire year except for the Rut!
    Please feel free to discuss!

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Spanker View Post

If anything, it would be better to open up the season on male deer for the entire year except for the Rut!
    I cannot see any ethical objection to this - or even including the rut.

Totally agree as with other threads not many stalkers pick and choose the bucks but banjo everything they see. I cannot understand why we are allowed to do it they will still be there after the rut and the genes of the best ones will be passed on. I personally am not bothered about so called trophies and enjoy the sport for myself and not to show off my prize. As again just as shooters need big bags and no one wants any birds because they dont like pheasant to a lot its numbers and size!

Interesting...as one might argue with you, we don't go catching salmon when they run up to spawn either (edit...we do,,but stop before the spawning actually begins of course)

mind, if the culling is conducted with a proper and educated view to deer management, I see it as an opportunity to select a few cull beasts which may have evaded you in the earlier summer, yearing spikers and button bucks. In addition, when it comes to the stags, I see it as an opportunity to find some of the very old and going back beasts that really should be taken off to reduce the riks of in breeding, etc. I have at times seen stags hold 20-50 hinds that really should not be, and culling these beasts in the early rut is a good chance to let a promising satellite stag into the breeding lines.

therefore, I voted 'yes'...mind, what should not be done is cull indescriminately during the rut, calling big bucks with breeding potential in close and shooting them. that's not the way to go about it IMHO.
    “One does not hunt in order to kill; one kills in order to have hunted.” - Jose Ortega y Gasset

Quote Originally Posted by Labrat View Post
    I cannot see any ethical objection to this - or even including the rut.
    What about the ethics raised above about shooting during the rut?
    MS

MS
    I have ethics and, if you don't like them, I have others!

Groucho Marx

A general answer to this might be that it does not actually appear to have any negative consequences: despite decades (if not hundreds) of years of intensified effort during the rut, there doesn't appear to have been any long term negative effects on the population. In specific answer to your points:

1. Does it matter that 'less able' stalkers have a better chance during the rut? Or do you feel that only the best stalkers should be allowed to shoot the best deer?
    2. Why would call use be regarded as unthethical? It does not add suffering.
    3. Opportunism will be a problem wherever animals can move between areas covered by different people with different agendas.
    4. There is no evidence of a decline in the genetic quality of the population - if anything, the reverse appear to be the case.
    5. Much of deer stalking IS trophy hunting. Whether or not this is appropraite or desirable is a separate issue.
    6. Agreed, though it's not really anywhere near as bad as people make out, and roe buck venison during the rut is still better than red deer venison from just about any time of year.

"Using mating calls to effectively ‘honey-trap’ male deer may be viewed as being unethical by our critics?"

A thread of it's own??

K

To many people now make quite a bit of money from calling and shooting bucks during the rut, you only have to read the mags and watch the Internet shows to see this, therefore shooting bucks in the rut will never ever be stopped.

MS
    I don't see a problem with them - personally I don't think that the 'sporting' aspect should be an area for legislation, none of them impact directly on the welfare of the animals being shot - A legally enforced close season for females is entirely understandable and desirable, as we don't want to orphan animals reliant on their mothers milk, and we could get into a very interesting discussion about the ability of the foetus to feel pain and suffering - however with male animals none of these apply.