Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The cost of stalking !!!

The cost of stalking !!!

Over the last six months I have tendered for four different stalking leases ranging from 1900 acres to a small stand of sitka of just 450 acre.

I have been offered none of them . . . This isn't a thread of sour grapes, as I am lucky in the respect that I have quite a bit of ground anyway. What it is though is an indication of the over inflated worth of ground and the detrimental effect that has on the management of the deer upon it.

Now to many that know me, I supose I could be described as one of the new generation of stalkers, however I am well aware of how much a bit of land is worth and the economics surounding it, and to that end can only conclude that the sums currently being offered by prospective tenents, and expected by land agents for unproductive ground must be astronomincal. . . . who on earth is paying this and what on earth do they expect in return for their money?

For example; one of the bits I tendered for has a historic cull of four deer per year.

The guide price was into four figures ex VAT . . .you do the maths . . .thats right, four figure guide price for four deer . . .

To my mind the ground was well situated and had potential to hold more deer and provide a decent bit of stalking in a few years time . . nevertheless, any small syndicate going onto the ground would need to show restraint for a couple of years before much of a harvest could be taken.

And here lies a problem, as a syndicate member paying through the nose for a bit of ground, are you going to show any restraint for the overall medium to long term health of the ground or the deer?

I would hazzard a guess and say no, and who could bloody blame them, if your paying a fortune every 12 months you want some venison on your platter, the last thing on your mind is the population of deer next year or the year after . .. . because after all, there's always another syndicate, or another bit of ground if you throw enough cash at it !!!.

Now the crux of it is this - I put in a realistic offer for a promising bit of ground which held few deer, it wasn't accepted . . I have all the qualifications, all the bells and whistles and still didn't get offered the ground . . . upon requesting feedback it was made quite clear that my offer wasn't nearly high enough. . . . who on earth is paying these prices, and is this the reason some ground is changing hand on such a regular basis?

To my mind, on a lot of leases there is no management taking place . . . the ground is viewed, a hugely inflated price is paid, the syndicate takes their pound of flesh, the deer are shot to bits, the lease given up, the next syndicate pays a hugely inflated price, want their pound of flesh, and so on and so on.

Syndicate stalking is now in danger of being a victim of its own sucess, yes stalking is the fasted growing field sport, but give it another few years and I fear unless prices are checked, and land agents stop seeing deer as an endless cash cow we shall all be shooting targets, as this conglomeration of greed and mismanagement can't go on for much longer.
    Last edited by Cadex; 10-06-2013 at 06:33. Reason: spelling

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    thats not nice big man.

i know the lad that looks after the estate i work on pays a lot,(thousands + tax) and there is no way in this earth most people can afford it. and i lost out last year to 2 lads who now pay £1200, each for my old shoot ?

its the way of the world, lots of web/shooting sites now charge for all-sorts and its the way of the world now.

bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by Cadex View Post
    yes stalking is the fasted growing field sport, but give it another few years and I fear unless prices are checked, and land agents stop seeing deer as an endless cash cow, we shall all be shooting targets, as this conglomeration of greed and mismanagement can't go on for much longer.
    I think you've found the source of the "inflated" prices - demand. In the end something is worth what people are willing to pay and if someone will pay a four figure sum for 4 deer, then 4 deer become worth a four figure sum. I'm less than pleased about this myself as one thing I don't have is lots of free cash. What I will say is make the best of it while you can as with more coming to the sport so the price can only go up, demand can only increase and those of us who can only just about afford some stalking will be priced out of the sport.

The other side of this is that I think booked days, especially something like red hinds, offer great value for money. Hinds are about £150 per day and for that you usually get the services of a stalker, sometimes argos and quads and access to a huge area of often spectacular ground. I personally think that is great value for money and you'd be hard pressed to get a better value day out no matter what you want to do.
    For self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis please visit:
    http://www.7south.co.uk/

money talks these days im afraid, not saying i agree with it.

but i do a job where i come into contact with alot of customers who have obseen amounts of money to hand and i can tell you some of them think £10.000 is nothing they just waste it on bubby etc, so how are we ever going to keep up with that , where NOT

alot of them use a commen catchfrase """" Dave money is only relevent to how much youve got""""""" which i surpose is true
    Last edited by 223; 07-06-2013 at 19:17.

I often wonder if the ones that are expecting a silly price actually get leased to someone - or if they don't get the money they want, the land agencies just leave it unmanaged until they put it back on the market again.

But you're right, its all becoming a bit 'pubco'!

The other side of this is that I think booked days, especially something like red hinds, offer great value for money. Hinds are about £150 per day and for that you usually get the services of a stalker, sometimes argos and quads and access to a huge area of often spectacular ground. I personally think that is great value for money and you'd be hard pressed to get a better value day out no matter what you want to do.[/QUOTE]

+1 coarach.
    Blessed be the sheeple for they shall inherit bugger all...

Perhaps you miss the point slightly and are hard on syndicates? the value of the stalked land is not just the four deer than may be stalked .... but the endless hours of enjoyment for the recreational stalker in a natural environment with a rifle slung over the shoulder ...
    I lease 500 acres in north devon and I have never equated the stalking rent with the number of beasts shot ... only fulfilling the management plan ... that I myself put together.
    I am not rolling in money but prepared to make sacrifices for something I love ..
    Maybe I am just unique in this forum where many make a living from something I do as part of my being .... well me.
    Food for thought.
    Tony

Sad atate of affairs mate but for many on here "it's all about the money" I know they have to make a living but they are theirs & ours downfall because some that charge £4/g for trophies, so a good buck is £1000+ means that ground wher the average take is only 4 bucks is worth at least £2,000+ (4 outing fees 4x£150=£600 + trophies £1400) so like it or not they are pricing temselves and those of us without lots of spare cash out of a market that can't be sustained, "you can only kill the fatted calf once" I'll take cover now.

Quote Originally Posted by HunterMoore View Post
    Perhaps you miss the point slightly and are hard on syndicates? the value of the stalked land is not just the four deer than may be stalked .... but the endless hours of enjoyment for the recreational stalker in a natural environment with a rifle slung over the shoulder ...
    I lease 500 acres in north devon and I have never equated the stalking rent with the number of beasts shot ... only fulfilling the management plan ... that I myself put together.
    I am not rolling in money but prepared to make sacrifices for something I love ..
    Maybe I am just unique in this forum where many make a living from something I do as part of my being .... well me.
    Food for thought.
    Tony
    LET HE WHO IS WITHOUT SIN CAST THE FIRST STONE & PREVENTION IS BETTER THAN CURE!

as you say in your original post you already have plenty of other land but still want more,those that have none have to pay over the odds to get any land.there is always someone willing to pay,no matter what the price.stalking will go the same way as pigeon shooting,what was once free can now set you back £100 for the day

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)
    Hold in there bud, the bubble will burst.
    Those that stay in the sport because they love it and not just because they want to do a bit of willy wagging will have the last laugh.
    People will desert stalking eventually through lack of results, the land that has been trashed will be deserted but will come back, there will be lots of cheap second hand equipment for sale.
    It will never return to cheap days.
    Hang in there
    “Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”........Dalai Lama