Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: delayed birthing

delayed birthing

out yesterday deer calf tagging with chris we noticed a lot of heavily pregnant hinds, which should have dropped by now,the question is with the delayed growth on the undergrowth this year which was about about 3 weeks behind normal,can they hold back abit so the calf has plenty of cover and feed for the mother to eat, so giving them the best start they can get in life. A colleague at work said horses appear to be a little slow this year also ,what does any-one else think
    Give instruction to a wise man and he will be yet wiser

The gestation period is fairly fixed (red 231 days) give or take a day or two. Very simplified, the timing of birth is governed by the growth of the calf, specifically it's adrenal glands, that start to produce cortisol and set everything moving. You may get a slight variation, but if you think they are very late, then it may be more to do with delayed fertilisation due to the lousy autumn.

I don't think that they can delay birth as such. What we are probably seeing here is nothing more than the result of a slightly later rut last year.
    MS

keith@honda An interesting and valid observation for your team. Laudon et al Nature 302: pp 142-147 gave a pregnancy period of 234 days. Asher published in the Supplement of Society for Reproduction and Fertility 2007:64 pp 255-260 Quote ' Historical data 233-234 +/- 2/4 days Recently considerably greater variation in gestational length...significant elements of environmental and possibly even social control over duration of pregnancy in this species'. 'More recent studies,primiparous ( first calvers ) gestational length 193 -263 days compared with adult hinds 228-243 days ... these data debunk the commonly held notion gestation length of red deer is genetically fixed within strict limits.
    morena

Quote Originally Posted by morena View Post
    ..significant elements of environmental and possibly even social control over duration of pregnancy in this species'. 'More recent studies,primiparous ( first calvers ) gestational length 193 -263 days compared with adult hinds 228-243 days ... these data debunk the commonly held notion gestation length of red deer is genetically fixed within strict limits.
    morena
    So are you suggesting that red deer are able to predict the weather and can choose the lenght of gestation to suit?
    MS

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Spanker View Post
    So are you suggesting that red deer are able to predict the weather and can choose the lenght of gestation to suit?
    MS
    Probably not but they can choose when to avoid me -the days I book stalking !

MS
    ​i am merely drawing attention to peer reviewed research data on observations of farmed red deer by world experts of Invermay. Interpret it as you will.I look forward to your own research observations.
    morena

Quote Originally Posted by morena View Post
    MS
    ​i am merely drawing attention to peer reviewed research data on observations of farmed red deer by world experts of Invermay. Interpret it as you will.I look forward to your own research observations.
    morena
    There will be no research from me I'm afraid!
    However, I do find things like this very interesting and firmly believe that there is so much we do not understand about nature, and probably never will!
    I also find the theory that Roe does can choose to 'absorb' a foetus if the conditions are not right for her to support multiple births rather fascinating. I do believe that animals are able to predict the weather by their movements. There is probably a lot we could learn from nature if humans weren't so stupid and think they know everything eh?!
    MS

I thought and I don't mind if I'm corrected, that deer can delay the implantation of the fertilised egg/foetus? So if it was really rubbish and harsh weather around the rut coul that be theory to the late births?

i thought gestation was fairly fixed but thanks to morena it would seem not,at least it has got people thinking about it and discussing it
    Give instruction to a wise man and he will be yet wiser