sako 85

drummerboy

Hi guys, looking to buy a sako 85 been also thinking of a tikka or a styr pro hunter, i would appreciate your views please?
Regards neil

Look for tidy second hand sako 75 or tikka 595 far superior to the 85 by a country mile!

got a 85 very nice rifle mines in .308 ss had a tikka again nice rifle, used a pro hunter yup again work as expected, its up to you feller and your back pocket! i kepted the 85 best thing i find is the load one shot one on the 85 just drop around in open port and close the bolt with no fuss or jiggling around ,mags are £100 plus so don't drop it, the stock is not the best but now GRS and the WESTSTOCKS now do aftermarket nice stocks.
75 is a good choice just that bolt lock can give you a bad day out if go's wrong or a forgotten key
:tiphat:

I use a sako 85 as the main stalking rifle in wood and 6.5 x55 cal, cannot fault it

Well made, extremely accurate and mine has been utterly reliable, despite being frozen and soaked, stuffed with mud on numerous occasions, it is a decent bit of kit

​Phil

Last edited:
I don't think that you will ever regret buying a Sako 85 and there's not much wrong with the Tikka either, but personally I'm not fussed on the modern Steyr rifles. Now that's just a personal opinion and I know a few guys that have them and like them. I also know a couple who had trouble with stocks flexing so my choice would be either Sako or Tikka. Like I said though personal choice and its probably better to try a couple before you buy.

My Sako 85 is my favourite gun of all time! Tikka's are a budget version of the 85 IMO. You couldn't pay me to have a steyr - good guns but I hate the safety "wheel" they have in place of a switch.

I have a Tikka and a Sako 75 and my mate has a Sako 85..............my choice from now on would be Sako 75 if I could get one or an 85 if not,these rifles are far superior to th eothers mentioned and well worth the extra money in my opinion................

My Sako 85 is my favourite gun of all time! Tikka's are a budget version of the 85 IMO. You couldn't pay me to have a steyr - good guns but I hate the safety "wheel" they have in place of a switch.

​+1,that safety wheel is something must go wrong regularly.....very plasticy cheap feel for my liking..............

i looked at all 3 of these rifles the same as you and i went with the 85 i didnt like the stock on the tikka, and i didnt like build of the styer. i dont think either were a bad rifle i just prefered the sako and it hasnt disapointed

I've had 2 Sako 75s and 2 Sako 85s. I had an accuracy issue with an 85 in finnlight .243 which I felt was a result of the stock being too bendy. But in hunter, varmint or laminate format they are excellent and well worth the money.

I have a Sako 75 in .243 and a Sako 85 in 30-06. Cannot fault either rifle. I don't understand why someone would think that the 75 is much better than the 85 though.
Mine are wooden stocked and blued and were bought new. I shall be keeping them both.

Look for tidy second hand sako 75 or tikka 595 far superior to the 85 by a country mile!

How do you figure that then?

Neil go for an 85 mate. I have 2, one in .243 S/S and an 85 Hunter in 22-250 both cracking guns. I'll be buying a 6.5x55 next in the same make 85, they are a very good gun for the money. If you would like a look of, or to handle one give me a shout as looks like I'm not too far from you!

ATB

Bryan

Sako 85 in wood short barrel (hunter) no problems does as it says on the box mine in 308 cal

DJC

Why is that then ??

Just my opinion had quite a few 75,s had a 85 kept it three weeks I just didn't like mine! I personally don't think the action is as good! The blued version of the 85 was not even blued had been sprayed which in my eyes was awful! If you do go for a 85 I would certainly go for a stainless steel! Had a prohunter it was not my cup of tea my friend has used and loved his for along time and he about to trade it in and buy another! Have you talked to a gunsmith about a rifle I spoke to Steve kershaw told him what I was after he found a tikka 595 (which you've probably guessed is my favourite action out of the lot) with lovely wood rebarreled it in 6.5x47 most accurate rifle iv ever owned and cost less than a new sako 85 and its got a custom tube!!! I think my comment about a country mile maybe Exaggerated I'm not saying the 85 is a no no I just didn't like mine sorry

Last edited:
Back