Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 338 lm v's 375 h&h

338 lm v's 375 h&h

hi guy's,
    well I,ve got some moose shooting booked and I,m going to get some boar shooting booked so was thinking of going bigger than my 270, the 2 I,m thinking of are the 338 lm or the 375 h&h anybody give me any pro's/cons on either calibre.
    cheers stav
    if your going too be dumb you have too be tough

Quote Originally Posted by stav View Post
    hi guy's,
    well I,ve got some moose shooting booked and I,m going to get some boar shooting booked so was thinking of going bigger than my 270, the 2 I,m thinking of are the 338 lm or the 375 h&h anybody give me any pro's/cons on either calibre.
    cheers stav
    .375 is WAY more suitable than the lapua mag .
    For one thing it's more shoot able and available in sporting rifles .
    Lid imagine the .338 will over penetrate on Piggys

The lapua was designed as a long range sniper round , to deliver outstanding accuracy and energy on distant targets.

the 375 was designed for hunting large and dangerous ish animals at normal hunting ranges .

​which matches your intended use closest?

the 375h&h is far cheaper in terms of rifle costs and you'll be able to get one without to much searching about but also your reloads will be under 1 a shot for Sierra BT/S 250gr and 1.20 for Hornady 300gr SP. The LM is an exceptional calibre but at only 8.6mm compared to 9.5mm, the 375h&h with 300gr v's the 225gr of the LM it's no contest. On really big stuff especially when bullets are likely to be passing through some brushy cover the heavier slower bullet is far better.

Besides if you're going on trip 1 with me I'll be able to give you expanding ammo for the trip. Your FLO is unlikely to give you anything but solids for zeroing. Oh, and the h&h blows pretty big holes in trees!

I know where there is a really nice .300 wetherby mk5 with all the dies cases loaded rounds etc even has mounts, and it isn't far from you at sensible money and no issues if you wanted it for deer over here unlike the 338lm. DF

yeh but 375 h&h is amazing on deer.... you just have to play the game right to get it open.

Paul did you not say in previous posts you had had some runners with yours ? and yes when I enquired with my flo if I wanted one for boar then I could have one for deer only thing is boar are a bit sparse where I live.

.375 is AWSOME on piggies they don't go anywhere and more than capable on moose it's realy easy to get ammo for anywhere in the world and at reasonable prices, sorry but the 338lm isn't suitable for what you want it for it will do it but is a bit like using a Ferrari as a tow truck IMHO, .375 is the way to go I use mine for everything even Charlie has met mine one evening but I do think that a 300 is more than adequate if you want something a bit flatter as the .375 dose dorm some as the distance increases having said that you could download it but I think your FEO would find the 300 more acceptable ans easy to open for use in the uk along with then granting you expanding ammo which means you could be familiar with your rifle & ammo before you go away and use it here regularly, just my thoughts from my experience.
    LET HE WHO IS WITHOUT SIN CAST THE FIRST STONE & PREVENTION IS BETTER THAN CURE!

.375 was my first choice and at the time i would have preferred one for what i wanted to do with it, i certainly could have had one if i had sent my ticket in for boar but being stubborn i wanted it conditioned for deer without having to.
    I settled for a .300 rum and to be honest as much as i would loved the .375 and still would like to own one or any other big game rifle the .300 does what it says on the tin and has worked flawlessly.
    I have never had the opportunity to shoot moose but by the way it deals with the biggest of lowland reds i wouldn't have thought a moose would be too much of a problem.

right let me change this abit, next year for my 40th I,m fancing Africa, not after elephants but maybe something biggish like water buffulo, so what calibre do you guy's in the know reckon? also too use in uk for deer/boar, and I do like a flat shooting round.
    let me know your thoughts guy's
    cheers stav
    if your going too be dumb you have too be tough