Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best rimfire mod?

Best rimfire mod?

Just wondering what you guys think is the most efficient rimfire mod. I have always just used the trusty SAK's as they are cheap, easy to clean and pretty effective. Just waiting on a 1 for 1 variation for a new 17 HMR, and feel like trying something different (if noticeably quieter). Difference is probably minimal with a .17 because of the sonic crack, but I am unfortunately a sucker for new kit, and don't feel like taking the 'impartial' advice of RFD's.

L.E.I. 17 mod, I tried all the popular ones and ended up with the this, smallest and quietest.

Neil.

2p worth
    an OLD steel parker hale mod was better on my sako 17 than the a-tec mod, as crud build up in the mod was so bad with the 17 ! a mod that can be cleaned is a good way to go

MAE Mini T available from JMS arms is the best I've used/heard. Dave Mercers DM80 is also equally good though a little bulkier. LEI is also good!

These mods are almost centrefire money, how much of a sound reduction do they offer?

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    get a dm80 calibre spacific mod for the 17, easy to clean, works well and fits liks a glove. will last for years,

dm80 mkIII .17 cal and you will be well happy.

bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

Established Poster
    I use a sako on my .22lr I've tried 5-6 of the usual suspects but find the sako the best.

Quote Originally Posted by bicykillgaz View Post
    I use a sako on my .22lr I've tried 5-6 of the usual suspects but find the sako the best.
    +1 I have just aquired a sako mod and it is whisper quiet compared with my SAK

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    Attachment 29151im sure the OP is after a 17 hmr mod ??

here is my complete set up thats no longer used,

you can see the dm 80 MkIII fitted to my 17 hmr cz 452 hb varmint.

bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

Ask 6 people and get 7 answers to this one, or so I found!

I have a Scirroco and an old steel Parker Hale. The scirroco is marginally quieter, however, after several hundred rounds the baffles inside are cut from the power of the round. You are able to buy more of the stainless steel baffles and replace the softer ones, thus stopping this, the mod itself is only about 30, so you could have 4 of these over the life of a rifle for some of the more expensive ones. Or change the baffles for a tenner and have a good mod for 40. Scirrocos get a slating in some places, but its quiter and less bulkier than a mates SAK.

The PH one is good, easily cleaned and strong enough to resist the cutting of the round - but it is not as quiet.