Thread: Injured buck.

Injured buck.

On the way home from work Thursday evening I got a phone call from a local farmer who had seen a buck in a wheat field that he had been spraying that afternoon. It had injured his back leg. While he was spraying it just stopped amnd watch the sprayer go past him. He said he stoppe dthe sprayer and the buck hobbled to a headland and bedded down.
    So dropped off to home first and got my gear sorted as I was going out that evening anyway for a bit of a reccy on a piece of ground. So a detour was in order and called at the farm house and we went to look for said buck.
    We went to the field and the hedge where he was spotted last and as the farmer thought where he was, we spotted the tips of his antlers in the tall headland. He was tucked up tight to the wire. We were only 40m away so I whistled, a little twitch from the antlers, nothing, shouted at him, a little more movement but he was not going to get up.
    So we waited a while to see what he was going to do, the farmer then got his sprayer which was still park up in the gateway. He approached to where I was standing but over the fence from me. This was enough for the buck to get to his feet and walk towards me a few meters. Shouted and he stopped in a safe position with a good backdrop as the field was going away up hill. Dropped him with a neck shot.

A shame as he looked to be a promising young buck.
    The farmer said he had seen the master buck chasing a couple of other bucks away earlier that day so we can only assume when this buck jumped a fence he got his lower part of his back leg hung up.

Not the best conditions to be taking a buck but at least he wont be suffering anymore

Jonathon

Quote Originally Posted by 243varmint View Post
    On the way home from work Thursday evening I got a phone call from a local farmer who had seen a buck in a wheat field that he had been spraying that afternoon. It had injured his back leg. While he was spraying it just stopped amnd watch the sprayer go past him. He said he stoppe dthe sprayer and the buck hobbled to a headland and bedded down.
    So dropped off to home first and got my gear sorted as I was going out that evening anyway for a bit of a reccy on a piece of ground. So a detour was in order and called at the farm house and we went to look for said buck.
    We went to the field and the hedge where he was spotted last and as the farmer thought where he was, we spotted the tips of his antlers in the tall headland. He was tucked up tight to the wire. We were only 40m away so I whistled, a little twitch from the antlers, nothing, shouted at him, a little more movement but he was not going to get up.
    So we waited a while to see what he was going to do, the farmer then got his sprayer which was still park up in the gateway. He approached to where I was standing but over the fence from me. This was enough for the buck to get to his feet and walk towards me a few meters. Shouted and he stopped in a safe position with a good backdrop as the field was going away up hill. Dropped him with a neck shot.

A shame as he looked to be a promising young buck.
    The farmer said he had seen the master buck chasing a couple of other bucks away earlier that day so we can only assume when this buck jumped a fence he got his lower part of his back leg hung up.

Not the best conditions to be taking a buck but at least he wont be suffering anymore

Jonathon
    Hi Jon,

excellent work in putting that poor fella out of his suffering.

Regards
    T.

it's a hard call with any animal that you can't actually handle to asses the damage , that would have healed in time i would think
    ​i once shot a red stag that had what looked like a broken front leg i watched him for hours before i shot him on inspection it wasn't broken but just must have been badly sprained
    a barony original

good on you buddy, the right thing to do. you just can't hope the wound will heal as if it doesn't, the poor thing could suffer a bad passing which is just not fair...

whilst roe have an amazing ability to heal wounds, they hardly have access to penicilin and antibiotics! I think for every 'healed injury' we see, there are probably 10x more that just end up as a few bones strayed about on the forest floor the following year..

Great job but as you say he looks like he could have been a very good buck in a year or two.

​Craig
    “Persistence. Perfection. Patience. Power. Prioritize your passion. It keeps you sane.”
    ― Criss Jami