Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any bee keepers

Any bee keepers

Hi all just wandering if there was any of you that was in to beekeeping . I started last year had two colonies but lost them over winter . Now have three up and running hope to get some honey this year . And over winter them . Cheers Neil

Here!

Been into it for a few years now. They were supposed to be my wife's project....

You've just reminded me I need to order more starter strips to get another super on....

Cheers.

Enjoyed many days helping my uncle. He runs 5-600 hives. Had a very intereting 3 months in Oz running 2000 hives on pollination contracts over Victoria and SA. I'd love to keep a few myself but don't have the time. There have been big losses this winter all over and a poor start to the spring. Let's hope things pick up and you get some honey for your efforts.

Yes keeping bees down here in sussex. Been doing it about four years now. Only have two hives but lost one over winter. The surviving hive looked like it was struggling but on inspection this week i found eight queen cells so have split them so will hopefully have two queens laying in a few weeks. I also know of two local stalkers who used to keep bees but got allergic so had to give up. Maybe stalking and bee keeping go hand in hand somehow

Me too! Been keeping bees for 30 years now. Currently have 6 colonies, 5 of which are doing well & busy working the spring sown rape. 1 colony is weak with chalkbrood but have just requeened them & will shook swarm into a sterilised hive to try to cure. I've also spent the last few evenings setting up a new mating apiary. Using a Jenter kit for the first time this season along with Kieler mating hives.

i dont know much about bees, but is there any bee keeps who live near weston-u-lizard. i know of 9 heives which are in need of help due to the bee keeper passing away,
    pm and i can pass the info on
    atb
    simon

Me too! - - had bees for a good few years now. Fascinating beasties. - - even more fascinating when one finds several dozen inside the veil!
    Rule no 1 - - mind and zip up suit before opening up hive !!

JR
    " not the end of the world, - - but you can see it from here ! "

Hellloooo
    This will be our third year - lost one colony over this winter - probably down to low numbers - but the other three are racing away
    ​Ed

Quote Originally Posted by JRoe View Post
    Me too! - - had bees for a good few years now. Fascinating beasties. - - even more fascinating when one finds several dozen inside the veil!
    Rule no 1 - - mind and zip up suit before opening up hive !!

JR
    rule number two. Make sure they cant get up your trousers gets a bit exciting when your holding a super weighing thirty kilos and you can feel the bee go up past your knee