Any bee keepers

biglad

Hi all just wandering if there was any of you that was in to beekeeping . I started last year had two colonies but lost them over winter . Now have three up and running hope to get some honey this year . And over winter them . Cheers Neil

null-9.jpg

Here!

Been into it for a few years now. They were supposed to be my wife's project....

You've just reminded me I need to order more starter strips to get another super on....

Cheers.

Enjoyed many days helping my uncle. He runs 5-600 hives. Had a very intereting 3 months in Oz running 2000 hives on pollination contracts over Victoria and SA. I'd love to keep a few myself but don't have the time. There have been big losses this winter all over and a poor start to the spring. Let's hope things pick up and you get some honey for your efforts.

Yes keeping bees down here in sussex. Been doing it about four years now. Only have two hives but lost one over winter. The surviving hive looked like it was struggling but on inspection this week i found eight queen cells so have split them so will hopefully have two queens laying in a few weeks. I also know of two local stalkers who used to keep bees but got allergic so had to give up. Maybe stalking and bee keeping go hand in hand somehow

Me too! Been keeping bees for 30 years now. Currently have 6 colonies, 5 of which are doing well & busy working the spring sown rape. 1 colony is weak with chalkbrood but have just requeened them & will shook swarm into a sterilised hive to try to cure. I've also spent the last few evenings setting up a new mating apiary. Using a Jenter kit for the first time this season along with Kieler mating hives.

i dont know much about bees, but is there any bee keeps who live near weston-u-lizard. i know of 9 heives which are in need of help due to the bee keeper passing away,
pm and i can pass the info on
atb
simon

Me too! - - had bees for a good few years now. Fascinating beasties. - - even more fascinating when one finds several dozen inside the veil!
Rule no 1 - - mind and zip up suit before opening up hive !!:doh:

JR

Hellloooo
This will be our third year - lost one colony over this winter - probably down to low numbers - but the other three are racing away
​Ed

Me too! - - had bees for a good few years now. Fascinating beasties. - - even more fascinating when one finds several dozen inside the veil!
Rule no 1 - - mind and zip up suit before opening up hive !!:doh:

JR
:lol: rule number two. Make sure they cant get up your trousers gets a bit exciting when your holding a super weighing thirty kilos and you can feel the bee go up past your knee

:lol: rule number two. Make sure they cant get up your trousers gets a bit exciting when your holding a super weighing thirty kilos and you can feel the bee go up past your knee
​Some of us can only dream of having a super weighing thirty kilos!!

Yes for some reason last yes my two hives produced 93 lbs of honey. Think this was very localised though as other be keepers i spoke to had no honey to take off at all. I have had to move then to a new site so we will see what happens this year

I kept bees on a semi commercial level for over thirty years (150-200 colonies). Travelled to Venezuela and spent a while working with the Africanised (so called killer) bee. very interesting!!!. Eventually found the increasingly difficult conditions, varroa, time spent travelling to the out apiaries, and the clash with keepering duties at the busiest time of year was too much and the bees went.
Very rewarding pastime, but hard work if you run a lot of hives.

He kept bees in the Scots town of Effen
A wise Effen bee keeper was he
When one day this Effen bee keeper
Got stung by a big Effen bee

Now the Effen bee keepers "wee" Effen wife
For the big" Polis " she ran
For there's naebody can sort out a big Effen bee
Like a big Effen Polisman can

Now that big Effen Polis was fit as a fiddle
And he ran down the main Effen street
In has hand was a big Effen baton
He had big Effen boots on his feet

Now the big Effen Polis caught the big Effen bee
And twisted the Effen bees wings
But the Effen bee got its ain back
Cos the Effen bee had twae stings

Now they are both in the museum
Where the Effen folk oft come tae see
The remains of the big Effen Polis
Stung tae death by a big Effen bee

Thats the end of that wee Effen story
Tis an innocent wee Effen tale
But if you ever tell it in Effen
You'll end up in the old Effen jail

I used to help the head keeper with his bees when I was a youngster, got really quite interested in it , often thought of getting a couple of hives, but never really had enough time, something to think about for when I
​retire.

Anybody in Angus / Tayside or thereabouts that keep bees & wouldn't mind me contacting them to ask few questions???

Paul

How are the bees doing around the areas, mine are ok survived the horrid winter, start up has been eventful due to the fickle temperatures and rain, starting to make progress - slowly now.

Still very very low bumble and wasps counts though, hope there was a few survived from last year as it was a disaster around here for the little chaps.

Atb

Phil

Ive had bees on and off for 15 years and lost mine last winter.
Gutted, just trying to bait a swarm but its not looking hopeful

Ive had bees on and off for 15 years and lost mine last winter.
Gutted, just trying to bait a swarm but its not looking hopeful

bk - Is there somebody local to you who collects info about reported swarms - get your name on the list and go and pick one up for nothing!
Local Beekeeping society should be able to assist
It may still be worth while as mine (south/west of you in Shropshire) seem to be behind compared with previous years
Apologies if you are already aware of this of course
​Ed

My parents keep bees and supply beekeeping equipment
http://www.eastridinghoney.co.uk/index.html
I have always given him a hand since being a kid and still find it interesting.
He had a bad winter and lost a fair few colonies 10 to flooding -real mess to clean a hive full of silt out. Lets hope we get a summer this year that makes it all worthwhile.

Last edited:
Back