Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how to check mounts are straight

how to check mounts are straight

Hi all. I have run out out of windage adjustment on a new to me scope and wonder if its acutally the mounts on my rifle that arent true to the barrel. Is there a way of measuring this.

Regards pete

Was the old scope OK on the rifle?

If so then I would suspect the newly acquired scope.

Hi brit. Yes the nikon i had on there was ok. I put this now on my. 22 and it was shooting a long way right from where it was set on my 308. I put new scope on 308 and started sighting in at fifty yards and it was shooting a good foot left. Its will adjust across to within four inches but with the last clicks of adjustment the cross hairs dont move. I have wound the elevation turrret to its top and bottom and this doees the same. Stopping moving a few clicks before it stops turning. It is a pecar champion 6 x 45.

Would windage adjustable mounts move the scope enough do you think

Regards pete

What mounts are you using and on which rifle?

If the mounts will allow it, try swapping them around. i.e. Front to back, back to front.

Quote Originally Posted by srvet View Post
    What mounts are you using and on which rifle?
    Could it be a remy 700?
    Too Old Soon Too Late Smart

No its a parker hale. Not sure of bases but they are weaver rings. I hope to try a differant scope with the laser bore guide to see if this will show me anything. My thinking is, if I centre the scope then mount it to the rifle and see how many clicks of adjustment it takes to get on the laser dot. I also will count the amount of click on the pecar scope which get movement and how many clicks without movement. If this makes sense if there's a better way then let me know.

well ive been doing some more tinkering. there are 200 clicks of adjustment for both elevation and windage. the last 40 clicks right and down the reticle does not appear to move but that still leaves me 60 clicks of adjustment from centre. i have tried two other scopes buy laying them in the mounts i can get these to move to the laser dot but with all three scopes if i rotate the scope in the mounts the crosshairs move in a big circle to the right. as if the laser dot is at nine o clock and the cross hairs move up and right clockwise from there. does this indicate anything to do with my mounts or bases. i think yorric had posted a message similar to this but im not sure

Are the bases parallel to the barell?

Quote Originally Posted by pj1 View Post
    Hi all. I have run out out of windage adjustment on a new to me scope and wonder if its acutally the mounts on my rifle that arent true to the barrel. Is there a way of measuring this.

Regards pete
    Yes there's an easy way - put them right next to each other on the rail, then spin one of them 180 degrees so the securing bolts are on the opposite side from the securing bolts on the other mount. If there's any imperfection the rings will not align.

poor quality mounts will tilt your scope over to one side. I have had this before with leupold and other mounts but never with the following makes: BKL, warne, sports match, and Optilocks

PM me if you're unsure what I mean in testing alignment and I'll talk you through it.