Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: probs seating bullets

probs seating bullets

Ok guys had a bit of a mare yesterday, was tryingnto load .222 50gn vmax and the bullet seating adjustment btmed out before i could seat correct length. no probs with sierra splizter 50s but struggled with vmax, using lee press and pacesetter dies. followed instructions checked and doubled checked.
    Also another thing, had lapua brass and hornady, charged with 20.5gn the hornady was fine, but lapua seemed to be filled quite high in neck, tripled checked charge, happened again brass was same length, is that normal.
    TIA, before i give up on reloading.
    "Seek the wisdom of ages, but look at the world through the eyes of a child"
    http://www.totally22.co.uk

Lapua is thicker brass so has less case volume
    you really need to work up your load for each brass make to avoid pressure signs

my Lee dies bottomed out also with some spitzers

I ground/files/polished off the base of the die a little
    not sure what pacesetters look like but you can also grind off some of the seating pin so it sits deeper

Was the seating die installed in the press properly? The die body should be screwed in until it touches the shellholder with the ram fully up then back off 1/4 turn. If it was properly installed then I would try a different brand of die (there are some RCBS secondhand on the site at the moment). Personally I wouldn't shorten the die but that's just me. Definitely sort your brass into different head stamps, specially with the smaller cases

Yes installed correctly, ah you know what I checked brass, checked case length then full length sized and didn't check case length after sizing if the cases are slightly longer could this be the prob,

Cases that have been fired & then re sized, will likely be drawn out a little in length as the expander ball pulls back out of the neck, this is why case length should be checked at this stage.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

when i briefly loaded .222 i had a similar problem i could only seat 40 gn bullets very long before i bottomed out the seating die. that was using redding dies and a hornady press.

not much help i'm afraid but a little more info anyway.

the simple answer is change make of die or buy and extended case holder

Quote Originally Posted by see it shoot it View Post
    the simple answer is change make of die or buy and extended case holder
    Plus go through the reloading stages in the correct order.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Thanks for all the input guys, ill stick with the sierra or try and get a extended shell holder, I did read that lee do a custom bullet seating adjuster ESP for vmax bullets

When loading 222 I use 40, 50 and 55 grain bullets. With the 50's v-max or blitzkings the seating depth only differs by 1/8 of a turn on a lee deluxe seating die and I have a Hornady Die Permenantly set for the 55's

I use Viht N130 and can easily fit 22.1 grains in a case without compression (my 40 grain load) for both the 50's I use 21.3 grains of N130 and can swap between Lapua match (my main brass) RWS and Wnichester brass without a change in zero.

I did try Viht N133 but found I couldnt fit enough in a case without compression, what powder are you using to be able to fit so little in a Lapua case? If I was you I would trim the cases and re set up your seating die as you should be able to seat the 50's with a Lee seating die.

Rick