Thread: 30-06 loads

30-06 loads

Hi, I'm about to start loading for a 30-06 I have a some 185 and 190 Berger VLD's that I would like to try with Reloader/Elcho 17 as I have loads for my 25-06.

​If anyone has the latest Berger loading book and it has reloader 17 in please can you tell what the start and max loads are for these 2 bullets.

I also have some Hornady 168 BTHP so if any one has the latest Hornady manual with Reloader 17 in please can you tell me the start and max loads for them.

I have a print out from the Alliant website as a guide but would like to compare that with the bullet makers data.

Thanks,

Rick.

Quote Originally Posted by night stalker View Post
    Hi, I'm about to start loading for a 30-06 I have a some 185 and 190 Berger VLD's that I would like to try with Reloader/Elcho 17 as I have loads for my 25-06.

​If anyone has the latest Berger loading book and it has reloader 17 in please can you tell what the start and max loads are for these 2 bullets.

I also have some Hornady 168 BTHP so if any one has the latest Hornady manual with Reloader 17 in please can you tell me the start and max loads for them.

I have a print out from the Alliant website as a guide but would like to compare that with the bullet makers data.

Thanks,

Rick.
    (Alliant is the company with their necks on the block. I'd go with their data but that's just me.~Muir)

Thanks Muir, I normally agree but have never loaded VLD's before so wanted to know what berger say just in case they have a lower max load than Alliant.

​Rick

Quote Originally Posted by night stalker View Post
    Thanks Muir, I normally agree but have never loaded VLD's before so wanted to know what berger say just in case they have a lower max load than Alliant.

​Rick
    It's all just a guide so starting at the bottom, you will probably establish your own 'max' anyhow. I seldom hit listed max before I find a really good load. Hopefully that will be your experience. The 30-06 is a wonderful case.~Muir

Hi Rick.
    Berger do not list RL17 for the 190 grain Bullet.

For 185 grain they give the following.
    Start load 46.5 grains for 2475fps
    MAX LOAD 52.0 grains for 2735fps

As an aside i use the 175 Berger VLD in my 30-06 Ackley and they are excellent.

Yorkie.

I used Viht N150 with 190grain VLDs a while back. Seated them just up to the lands...worked a treat although the recoil is a bit heavy.

Thanks for the info,

Have prepped my cases and can't wait to get my hands on the rifle, I want to have a play. Hopefully I'll be able to pick it up and drop my 25-06 in for a new barrel at the same time.

Yorkie - if you have a part box of the 175 grain bergers is there any chance I can buy 15 off you to try?

Thanks,

Rick