What .243 round for long range target shooting???

Lee Clarke

Evening guys,

Ive been invited to a day on a long distance shooting range, I usually shoot 100gr Remington core lokt for game etc.

I was just wondering what people recommend for a day on the ranges???

targets will be presented between 100m & 1700m

​All advice welcome

Many thanks

How do your 100gr core lokts shoot? Why not stick with those if it's only one day, lot of time and expense involved in working up a load
with another bullet just for one day?

How do your 100gr core lokts shoot? Why not stick with those if it's only one day, lot of time and expense involved in working up a load
with another bullet just for one day?

Daft answer this one as we all know that expanding ammunition may ONLY be used for zeroing on ranges and not target shooting! A really stupid bit of knee jerk reaction this law but we are stuck with it and must stay within the law.

Only Politicians, the police and criminals it seems are exempt from this!

Use your normal ammo, zero all day long. Is it WMS?

I doubt even the dumbest FEO or licensing officer would swallow that one is zeroing to shooting quarry at 1700 yards. They would certainly have grounds to question this activity. As we know for sure at least one Police licensing department looks at these forums i often wonder why some "members" offer the advice to lie about their activities?

​It does make one wonder about their suitability to hold a FAC does it not their willingness to lie about what they are up to.

I doubt even the dumbest FEO or licensing officer would swallow that one is zeroing to shooting quarry at 1700 yards. They would certainly have grounds to question this activity. As we know for sure at least one Police licensing department looks at these forums i often wonder why some "members" offer the advice to lie about their activities?

​It does make one wonder about their suitability to hold a FAC does it not their willingness to lie about what they are up to.

Way off mark as usuall britty, there is absolutely nothing illegal in shooting "targets" with expanding ammo, in the appropriate places. WMS, the facility i mentioned allow ahooters to engage animal shaped targets at extended ranges, why would you do that with target ammo? Surely you want to practice, zero and understand external ballistics of your chosen hunting round.

as for ones suitability to posses firearms, i'll show you the content of my cabinets and chillers if you show me yours! Perhaps you should change your name to "old mother hubberd"

the problem they have is the legal definition of "target shooting" "ranges" "zeroing" etc etc

by definition zeroing involves shooting a "target" on a "range"
​only clear distinction is competitions

the restriction usually comes from the physical range itself and any restriction they may have on bullet contruction

the problem they have is the legal definition of "target shooting" "ranges" "zeroing" etc etc

by definition zeroing involves shooting a "target" on a "range"
​only clear distinction is competitions

the restriction usually comes from the physical range itself and any restriction they may have on bullet contruction

+1 - the range I used to shoot at restricted non-expanding (designed to expand) for competitions. I shot Berger 88grn in my .243 which are a hollow-point match with very good results which were acceptable in competitive use.

Way off mark as usuall britty, there is absolutely nothing illegal in shooting "targets" with expanding ammo, in the appropriate places. WMS, the facility i mentioned allow ahooters to engage animal shaped targets at extended ranges, why would you do that with target ammo? Surely you want to practice, zero and understand external ballistics of your chosen hunting round.

as for ones suitability to posses firearms, i'll show you the content of my cabinets and chillers if you show me yours! Perhaps you should change your name to "old mother hubberd"

Perhaps you had better check with the legal eagles as I am pretty sure unless you find one that will take the case on for a fee, the free advice and support wouldn't touch you with a barge pole for defence on this one.

Zeroing is defined as zeroing ones sights not practicing to massage ones ego on long range targets.

Yes the law and those whom drafted it were idiots with little to no knowledge about what the laws concerns however we are stuck with it and must comply even if those whom are responsible for the laws only give lip service to the law when it suits them.

As your aware I know only too well just how much the powers that be flaunt the law when it suits then. However I am not in the financial position to take them to task over it in our corrupt system. Oh for a nice little lottery tickle :evil:.

As yet we are still awaiting explanations as to why empty brass, wooden stocks, recurve bow, one reloading press (that seems to have vanished) and all those books and magazines on shooting subjects that were taken by the Police. Unless YOU can show me proof otherwise then these items are perfectly legal to own and possess yet it seems in my case I am NOT allowed to have such things.................................................... according to Lincolnshire Police anyway.

Last edited:
On the upside Brithunter they haven't stopped you surfing the net and taking about shooting but perhaps they are monitoring you................

Perhaps you had better check with the legal eagles as I am pretty sure unless you find one that will take the case on for a fee, the free advice and support wouldn't touch you with a barge pole for defence on this one.

Zeroing is defined as zeroing ones sights not practicing to massage ones ego on long range targets.

Yes the law and those whom drafted it were idiots with little to no knowledge about what the laws concerns however we are stuck with it and must comply even if those whom are responsible for the laws only give lip service to the law when it suits them.

As your aware I know only too well just how much the powers that be flaunt the law when it suits then. However I am not in the financial position to take them to task over it in our corrupt system. Oh for a nice little lottery tickle :evil:.

As yet we are still awaiting explanations as to why empty brass, wooden stocks, recurve bow, one reloading press (that seems to have vanished) and all those books and magazines on shooting subjects that were taken by the Police. Unless YOU can show me proof otherwise then these items are perfectly legal to own and possess yet it seems in my case I am NOT allowed to have such things.................................................... according to Lincolnshire Police anyway.

Brit,

Would you please vent your spleen with whoever it is you perceive to be in the wrong within your Constabulary. Is it any wonder that people are reluctant to join this site or even post here when the response to a simple question can be quite intimidating. It seems that we have been listening to your vitriolic rants for years. Why don't you stick to stalking and shooting matters and leave the other stuff out until such times as you can give us a clear and uncomplicated resolution to it.

John

From memory, my S5 authority allows me to possess and use S5 ammunition 'in connection with' the lawful shooting of deer, vermin etc.

The phrase 'in connection with' seems to me to give the sportsman the option lawfully to use S5 ammuniton in a rifle conditioned for live quarry at the target for practice purposes.

I think it would be an infringement of the law if I used S5 bullets in my 7.62 target rifle, arguably whether it were for a competiton or not, since I would never use that rifle in connection with taking any quarry.

Brit,

Would you please vent your spleen with whoever it is you perceive to be in the wrong within your Constabulary. Is it any wonder that people are reluctant to join this site or even post here when the response to a simple question can be quite intimidating. It seems that we have been listening to your vitriolic rants for years. Why don't you stick to stalking and shooting matters and leave the other stuff out until such times as you can give us a clear and uncomplicated resolution to it.

John

+1

I use 95 gn Sierra Match Kings in my standard sporter tikka. Out to 800 yards they're good and ok to 1000 yds. Beyond that they will struggle. Your hunting bullets will not group anything like as well as a proper match bullet. If you're going to the trouble of shooting at a long range facility you may as well load the right heads!

Brit,

John

As unless we suddenly come into a lot of money there will never be a resolution. We are still after two years trying to recover my property from the Police. It seems some, quite a bit in fact has gone missing, yet no one at the Police will talk about it.

I of course am not the only one who is not getting their stuff back the RFD Mick who was wrongly raided then jailed and later released and convictions quashed still has not got his stock back despite a court ruling.

Velkom to Da state Komrad.

Back