Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Barbecued butterflied roe haunch

Barbecued butterflied roe haunch

Hello everyone!

Today at lunch I finally put into practice my plan to barbecue a roe haunch. Now lots of people say that you can't barbecue venison because it lacks fat, but I think this is just defeatist. The important thing is that this was absolutely gorgeous, and I intend to improve it, but in the meantime I thought that this may be of interest.

First of all, I boned out the haunch, and with two or three additional cuts flattened it out roughly into a rectangle about 5-8cm thick. Then I marinaded it for a couple of hours in a blitzed mixture of olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper, fresh thyme and rosemary. This is the greenish mess that you see below.

Attachment 29161

After that, I lit a great pile of charcoal in the barbecue. Bear in mind that you need a barbecue with a lid to do this. I let the charcoal burn for a while until it started to cool down, as I need it less hot than you would for grilling steaks or burgers on direct heat. This took maybe an hour and a half or two. When the coals were glowing gently and spread out, I put the haunch on the grill. The oil in the marinade caught fire, but as soon as I put the lid down, the flames were smothered. I left that for maybe half an hour, turning it over once or twice. Here it is about halfway through cooking.

Attachment 29162

Finally, this is what it looked like, when I pricked it and the juices were just slightly pink. Absolutely fantastic and I shall be experimenting further with this style of cooking as soon as I've shot some more deer, as this was the last of my stash. Hopefully, Sikamalc will help me with that next weekend.

Attachment 29163Attachment 29164

Bon appétit!
    Last edited by Pine Marten; 09-06-2013 at 19:00.

Looks absolutely delicious. That last picture is a clincher.

​fraser

Good job there PM, that looks delicious.

I BBQ venison fairly regularly, last Sunday I cooked a whole haunch (roe) on the BBQ and as ever it was beautiful!

I first tried it about 5 years ago, and as Pine Martin mentioned many are, I was a little worried as to whether it would completely dry out, but no, if anything it is more moist than if cooked in the oven.

I have a 22" weber kettle BBQ, which means cooking large joints and even the Christmas turkey is fairly easy. If cooking joints and anything that is likely to take more than 20 minutes you should:

• Use briquettes rather than lumpwood charcoal, which don't produce as fierce a heat, but last a lot longer

• Arrange the briquettes so that you are cooking 'indirect' which again makes the heat less fierce, but also encourages the heat and moisture to circulate almost akin to a fan over.
    Last edited by Oh6; 09-06-2013 at 19:19.

Quote Originally Posted by Oh6 View Post
    Good job there PM, that looks delicious.

I BBQ venison fairly regularly, last Sunday I cooked a whole haunch (roe) on the BBQ and as ever it was beautiful!

I first tried it about 5 years ago, and as Pine Martin mentioned many are, I was a little worried as to whether it would completely dry out, but no, if anything it is more moist than if cooked in the oven.

I have a 22" weber kettle BBQ, which means cooking large joints and even the Christmas turkey is fairly easy. If cooking joints and anything that is likely to take more than 20 minutes you should:

• Use briquettes rather than lumpwood charcoal, which don't produce as fierce a heat, but last a lot longer

• Arrange the briquettes so that you are cooking 'indirect' which again makes the heat less fierce, but also encourages the heat and moisture to circulate almost akin to a fan over.
    I have to say that my wife keeps mentioning how delicious and tender this was, which helps justify my trip to Sussex to try and find another one with Malc next weekend! I can't agree with you on the briquettes though, they're horrible. I had to use some last year as I ran out of lumpwood charcoal and that's all I could find. They don't provide the same smokey flavour, and they leave a horrendous pile of ash behind (mostly potash, I think). However, for a lower heat, you could just use hardwood embers.

B*ggeryb*ll*cks... I now need to buy a kettle BBQ as my gas Outback won't do this!!!!!

Thanks!
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm-Z6i 3-18x50. MauserM12 .308-SIII 6-24x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)

Mine's not a kettle barbecue, it's more like a split oil drum, so with a rectangular cooking surface. The lid can be opened all the way out and used as another grill to double the cooking surface. I only tried that once and the heat of the two combined half-drums was so intense that I couldn't go near the damned thing to do any cooking for hours. It's wasn't that expensive though, just under £100 from Homebase. And I buy big sacks of lumpwood charcoal from the Turkish supermarket up the road. Oh, and Iain? Gas barbecues don't count. They are just gas cookers that you use outside.

Quote Originally Posted by Pine Marten View Post
    Gas barbecues don't count. They are just gas cookers that you use outside.
    A fair point, and well presented
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm-Z6i 3-18x50. MauserM12 .308-SIII 6-24x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)

Proper job that Lawrence got to confess I am a venison addict all the young animals never go to the dealers and are used at home.
    Mainly use roe as I don't get much access to fallow or muntjac ( my favourite ) to me red deer just reminds me of hare goes straight to the dealer.
    keep up the good work and keep on posting your findings please. DF

Don't you like hare? I love it, but I have never shot one. They're not around in any of the places I shoot (not surprising of course as these places are of the boggy variety). I had a chance to shoot one about ten years ago in Scotland, but as I swung through it it turned into a cheetah and I hit the ground about 2m behind it! Another one lolopped up right in front of me on a driven day, bit there was a no ground game rule, which left me chewing my hat off as I'd much rather have had that hare than ten pheasants.

That was my last piece of venison, but hopefully, I will stock up again at Malc's this weekend. I think this time I'll bone both haunches, and maybe cut one of them into steaks, frozen two-by-two for weekdays when it's just two of us at home. This also has the advantage of taking up far less space in the freezer.

just reading this thread is making my mouth water