Reloading - hornaday day lock and load - cases getting stuck

Enduroman

I have just started reloading using the Hornaday lock and load kit. I am reloading .308 calibre. The brass I have is 308 ppu win. I have set the sizing die to remove the primer and size according to the instructions. I have lubed the cartridges as the first step.
For some reason every 2 or 3 rd cartridge is getting stuck pulling out of the cartridge holder and I then have to extract the stuck cartridge using tap and die set.

I can not understanding why every 2 or 3rd cartridge is getting stuck and pulling through the cartridge holder

Appreciate it if anybody has any thoughts - could it be the brass?

Many Thanks

I am not familiar with the dies that you are using but most (not all) full length dies require that the inside of the case neck is also lubed. I find the most convenient to use is powdered graphite but it is also possible to use various liquid lubes applied with something like a cotton bud.
Go back to the instructions that came with the dies and see what they suggest.

Are you spraying each case individually or in a group? Be liberal, hit the inside of the necks, and be sure to give time for the lube to "set" as per instructions.~Muir

One shot gets pretty mixed reviews, I'd certainly try another lube. I use RCBS case slick spray but you can't get it in the UK.

Imperial Sizing Wax is readily available and is another excellent lube, can't think of anyone who has a problem using it.

I tried spray case lube some years back but was less than impressed so went back to the pad and cotton buds for lubign the necks. Once you get into the rhythm i cannot really see how it takes much longer and you don't get over-spray of lube eveywhere as with the spray types.

I use One Shot spray & it works fine & have done for years without a problem if cases are properly covered - spray a tray full of cases from 45 degrees above them to make sure you lube the inside of the neck as well as the outside. Spray from all sides (I turn the tray to be sure of that). Be fairly liberal wet the cases but no need to have them dripping - You can give the inside of the die a quick spray before you start - but don't put too much in it. Let it dry if you want - It works either damp or dry.
Hornady say it won't contaminate powder or primers so washing cases after sizing is up to you.
Spray lubes are quite expensive but are real time savers & there is much less chance of getting dirt contamination in your die to wear it out when compared to lube pads, neck brushes etc.

​Ian

lyman case lube worked for me on all these cases that i have loaded over the past year .270,243,308,222.223.6mmbr,30.06 and 20 tactical.

no issues with it at all, after a mate said spray it and leave it for a wee while then crack on, (also done the necks)

gave the pad and bottle of case lube away and never looked back.

bob.

If using the hornady 1 shot then definitely let it dry!! I had a similar problem at the start, I was being impatient and not letting it dry, one dry it's fine, try a ziplock bag, put 20 or 30 cases in and a good few sprays and tumble them. Put them on a tray and let them dry. Have to say I'm using imperial wax now and it's doing a good job!

Back